• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Frontline and cats' eyes
  • PJay
    Free Member

We've been using Frontline topical anti-flea/tick fluid on our cats for ages and it certainly seems to do the job. However, one of our cat's (the largest) always seems to act as if her eyes have become irritated when we use the liquid on her (the other is fine) almost immediately when it's applied. Tends to close her eyes and gives the impression that they're very sore and uncomfortable (although they don't actually water) and keeps well out of my way. The drops of fluid are placed on the skin on the nape of the neck and bottom of the skull, well away from the eyes and it doesn't appear to be particularly volitile.

Do some cats have a bad reaction to Frontline and should we be using something else if they do?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

When w edo one of our cats he runs around, miaowing, trying to sniff/wash his back – its not nice stuff!

samuri
    Free Member

Both our cats behave as if we've tried sticking them with a knife after they've been frontlined. That's after obviously, during the process they're actually to busy trying to shred me into tiny pieces to behave in a certain way.

It's funny, when it comes to worming/de-fleaing and my wife and I have the discussion about who's going to restrain the cat and who's going to administer, I always seem to find myself holding an angry cat while my wife spends three seconds squirting or throwing before declaring this business too difficult for mortals and lets get the vet to do it.

Pigface
    Free Member

My old Staff Badger would go mad for about 5 minutes after an application of Frontline going around the house on his back rubbing against his chair. I dont think it hurt him just made him itch. Great stuff for getting rid of fleas though.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Been using it for years – no problems – no bad reactions.

TooTall
    Free Member

Suggest you tell cat to CTFU.

Oh – asking this question after using this for 'ages' on a cycling site rather than at the vets?

mrmo
    Free Member

our two, just sit there, i don't have to restrain them at all!, let me apply the frontline then wander off/catch a mouse/eat/sleep/etc.

Mind you if they see a flea comb one actually runs up and wants to be combed, i think she enjoys it.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

As above, one of ours goes skitz & wants to put a contract out on us if we put the stuff on him, the other isn't bothered.
    They both love to be combed/brushed out though, the slags!

Drac

My dog hates it too once it's on maybe it acts like deep heat on them?

samuri
    Free Member

Maybe it's like marmite. Our dog couldn't care less that's she's being wormed or flead. She draws the line at being combed though. Unless you want to simultaneously rub her tummy in which case absolutely anything goes.

clubber
    Free Member

Our cats don't seem particularly bothered by us doing it either though occassionally they do seem to drool after – I guess that's when they manage to lick a bit of it before it dries.

That said, we are having a bit of a nightmare with them and fleas – frontline just doesn't seem to be doing the job. Tried spraying furniture, etc with the relevant anti-flea spray but that made no difference. Didn't know about flea combs but think I'll get one of those then – they quite like being combed with a normal comb so I guess that a flea one should be ok.

fbk
    Free Member

Hmm. Don't really see many "bad reactions" to Frontline to be honest. I think most of the descriptions above are due to the irritation/itching from putting something oily on their skin (try washing a cat with anything and I reckon you'd get a bad reaction 🙂 )

The thing to do is maybe try with an alternative (from your vet, NOT the supermarket – Frontline is the ONLY effective flea treatment you can get from outside a vets) and see if they respond better to that.

Clubber – flea combs are like weeing on a forest fire – you'll kill the odd adult (the frontline should do that anyway) but do nothing for the underlying cause. Assuming you've used frontline (or similar) monthly and something like acclaim or Staykill in the house, I reckon a trip to the vet may be in order – you sure it's fleas?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

clubber
    Sounds like you should start using this stuff instead of Frontline; http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-2847-advocate-small-cat-4kg-3-pipettes.aspx
    My vet's recommend it now as they're seeing a build up of resistance to Frontline & we experienced that problem.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Our cats never made a sound when being frontlined?

Milkie
    Free Member

One of our cats used to do something stange with his eyes too, but it wasn't a reaction, it was all in the cats mind!

Advocate, isn't that the one that does worms too? I believe they are both good.

TOP TIP
    For all you Frontline users… Did you know… If you get ticks on you, you can spray frontline on them and within half an hour they drop off. 😉

tinker-belle
    Free Member

Ours walk about as if you have stuck something to their backs (as well as the standard ripping you to pieces when you try to apply it and not talking to you afterwards.)

My sisters new kitten suffers quite badly and can't stop salivating for about 30 minutes (she's been told by her vet not to use it on that one anymore)

PJay
    Free Member

Maybe I should try something different to see what happens, the Advocate stuff looks promising. The odd thing is that it only seems to affect one of the two cats, the other's fine with it (and they're sisters from the same litter). 4 hours on and she's still cowering at the sight of me.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Frontline and cats' eyes’ is closed to new replies.