Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Front Suspension Dilema
  • livinbse
    Free Member

Hi,

Bit of advice please I have a small Canyon SF SLX all built with high end components and a Fox 32 Factory SC fork which has the steerer cut down to this frame size, I have now purchased a medium, frame only, Canyon CF SLX which has a longer headtube, to long for the Fox fork.

My dilema is do I get a larger steerer put on the fork at a cost of £400 incl a service or purchase a lesser fork for about £400 as to buy another fork of the same would be about £800, fork in question is only a year old.

If I am to purchase another any advice on which type welcome, coming from a road background not up on different fork specs.

thanks

Paul

hols2
    Free Member

I would sell the old forks and get something like this.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

joebristol

It seems like a lot of money for a new steerer and service.

Guess you need to weigh up paying that amount and keeping your current fork vs selling it on somewhere like eBay then buying a new fork.

I’d imagine you could get a comparable new fork for less than the amount of money you’d get for your old one plus £400. Although maybe not fox – is there anything from Rockshox / manitou / Mazocchi etc that would fit the bill?

DezB
    Free Member

Glad that has been edited, Tom!

If you’re happy with the Fox 32s, I’d get the longer steerer installed. Or find something 2nd hand similar. A lot of people change perfectly good forks for something else (eg. for something that they’ve got cheap in the Mojo sell off 😳 )
    How much too short is the steerer? Sometimes a lower profile stem/headset can get around this.

tjagain

or a steerer extender – they come in different types from shonky to very well engineered. Yo could even get a machine shop to extend it.

livinbse
    Free Member

May look into a steerer extender, would you know where I could get a good one and has anyone used these.

jam-bo

try RSF in plymouth. they can replace steerer tubes.

rob1984p
    Free Member

Keep your eyes peeled on ebay or similar for a csu with worn stanchions but a long enough steerer and send along with the fork for RSF. I’ve got Plymouth based mates that rave about RSF and the prices are competitive. I expect they can supply a replacement steerer for you but you might get one cheaper yourself.

tjagain

I have used a steerer extender that basically worked like an old quill stem. I had to get it mahachined to give a good fit. Dunno how much yo would want to rely oit for serious offroading tho but I cant see it failing catastrophically

taxi25
    Free Member

Here’s an old bikeradar thread with a good looking solution. Providing you can find someone to do the work at an affordable price.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12931453

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I had a mate knock up an extension on his lathe, it slots in the top, same diameter as the steerer and then have a head lock assembly installed to hold it together.
    Can’t go anywhere.

5lab

how much taller is the headtube? I have an old Kore stem that was useful for this – much smaller clamp meant that it worked fine on shorter steerer ‘available’ – something like this https://www.tredz.co.uk/.DMR-Defy-Stem_102046.htm

stigofthedump1
    Free Member

Think Dave at RSF is away in spain for 10 days, back in on the 5th Dec.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Front Suspension Dilema’ is closed to new replies.