Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • front mounted chain tensioner
  • StuMcGroo
    Free Member

i like the simple look of the ss but when a rear mounted chain tensioner is used it looks like a minature mech and breaks the clean lines. as i'll seriously be considering an 11 speed alfine in september i was wondering if anyone had tried to put together a seat tube mounted tensioner in place of the front mech or even if there is one on the market?

singlespeedstu

You could use a front mounted chain device tensioner like a Stinger.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

ssstu, is that springloaded?

singlespeedstu

No. Either BB or ISCG mount with no spring.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

but if using rear suspension you'd still need a springloaded tensioner… come to think of it, has anyone fitted hub gears to a full susser?

snaps
    Free Member

Like this?

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

well, would you look at that!

singlespeedstu

You didn't mention it was going on a full susser. 😉

Have a look at ade wards bikes. Oh and be prepared to scrub your eyes out after. 😉

snaps
    Free Member
    StuMcGroo
    Free Member

where can i find those ssstu?

singlespeedstu
    StuMcGroo
    Free Member

jesus christ, i'm sure it's effective but the "clean lines" have gone awol!

Kahurangi

Yes, John at Hexham Bike Shop has an Alfine'd Kona something or other. Anything that pivots about the BB axis (i.e. no chain growth) is simple as a standard hardtail.

singlespeedstu

an Alfine'd Kona something or other.

That'd be an "A" then.

adeward
    Free Member

my ears were burning ! the tensioner is an ols skool sun dh thing ,, i found in box of stuff one of our dh riders was chucking

i have been running this setup for 10 years first on my SS marin mount vision then my SS whyte preston which also now has alfine option

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

sorry ade ward no disrespect.

anyway that kona A looks nice and clean with rear suspension to boot, looking at their current line up it would seem the bass has a similar design but alas in a jump bike, not sure if there are anymore.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘front mounted chain tensioner’ is closed to new replies.