Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Front mounted baby seats?
  • Eddie_fb
    Free Member

Morning all,

I've just been on holiday to the Ile de Re, France, and saw plenty of these in use.

They do an adaptor for aheadsets, so should be no problem fitting it, but has anyone used one, or similar? These are about £50, plus £10 for the adaptor, so not too ridiculous. Our little Arthur is a small 9 months, but very inquisitive, so his trailer is more a prison than a joy! Plus it's bloody heavy to pull.

So, any recommendations for these, or anything similar? Cheers!

druidh
    Free Member

I just wouldn't. Regardless of how solid they are, you're putting your childs body between yours and a big sticky-out piece of metal.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I grew up riding in one of these and I used to like it a lot.

Joe

geoffj

I've got one we bought in Italy, which you can have for £10 posted. It doesn't have the foot rests, but does come with guards which go over the front wheel to stop junior getting their feet mangled in the spokes.

IIRC the reason they don't sell them here is to do with meeting stricter H&S requirements. You wouldn't want to stack heavily on it, but the risk of doing that on the canal toe path or forestry road is pretty low anyway!

stw@mtbperthshire.co.uk

woodey
    Free Member

We've got one (google weeride), used it for my daughter and will do for my son when he is big enough. Brilliant, much better balanced than a seat at the back, we go up on the downs (south) and cyclepaths. There is a rest that they van fall asleep on too. Fits on my Meta 5.

You can share the experience with them, they can see where they are going and if you did crash I would feel a lot safer than with a rear mounted seat – i know my reflexes would mean I wrapped my arms sraight round the little one and protected them from any impact.

druidh
    Free Member

woodey – Member
    … if you did crash I would feel a lot safer than with a rear mounted seat – i know my reflexes would mean I wrapped my arms sraight round the little one and protected them from any impact.

…as your momentum carries your body mass forward, crushing the seat back and propelling the childs body towards the steerer. Yes, yes. I can see that working out well…..

windowshopper
    Free Member

I used a wee-ride with my son and we both loved it. Much more fun for him being up-front.

In my experience front-mounted carriers are less stable than a rear-mounted seat but for a young child (ie not too heavy) I found it safe and never had a problem.

The-Badger
    Free Member

I used one for quite a while for both my little ones – Looks just like the one in the bottom picture. Felt much better balanced than a rear seat, and both kids liked it much better than a rear one – better view and they feel more secure – being between dads arms,and you can talk to them. I also felt safer with them there – maybe wrongly – I thought should I have an accident I would put my arms out to take the impact.

Need them setting high to avoid your knees when pedaling.

Often had littlest one on the front, slightly larger one on the back … can work but can be challenging getting on and off, then removing both safely!

StirlingCrispin

I use a LOCT.

http://www.loct.co.uk/

Works well for two years and up, and I regularly take Thump off-road with it. We have a blast and he feels like he's taking part in the action.

For young uns there also these:
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=12571&src=froogle

ChromedOranges
    Free Member

Got one just like the picture and it's ace. A 9 month old may want to doze off when your riding though and I'm not sure this'll offer the same support as a trailer or bigger rear mounted trailer but in my view the front mounts keep the bike handling more normal. Much more fun for them

The problem here is they are unusual. On the continent they are very normal. I suspect most of the push back will be based on unfamiliarity not actual science.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Front mounted baby seats?’ is closed to new replies.