Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • front mechs – normal v direct fit + adapter
  • nedrapier

If I was buying a mech to go on this frame, is there any advantage to getting a direct fit mech to fit the adapter rather than just a normal band/clamp type?

Ta.

nedrapier

any thoughts, anyone?

brant
    Free Member

Direct mechs have a stop built in to them so don’t need one on the frame.
    I’m not aware of a conventional mech that has that.

cookeaa

Direct mechs have a stop built in to them so don’t need one on the frame.
    I’m not aware of a conventional mech that has that.

Are you thinking of e-type BB mount mechs perhaps?

cookeaa

I have just gotten a direct mount adapter like the onr you pictured OP as the band mount front mech for my road bike was out of stock…

The only real advantage I can see is that once I have tje mech fitted and aligned, I could remove it (say for cleaning or replacement) leaving the adapter in place meaning it goes back on in the right position with no real faff… not that I take my front mech off all that often.

But that’s about it, otherwise it looks a bit less pretty and saves no weight…

brant
    Free Member

Road mechs have a different type of fixing to the one shown above.
    The one shown above is a frame clamp to allow fitting of High Direct Mount type front mechs. These mechs also have a stop for the outer cable built in. So don’t need one on the frame. Allowing “cleaner lines” when it’s not fitted for singlespeed or 1x use.

nedrapier

brant, thank you!

That makes perfect sense. Couldn’t imagine Sam would have added in frippery without a good reason. This one looks right to me: Is it?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-slx-m676-front-derailleur-for-double-chainset/

nedrapier

but it seems the bolt is in the opposite corner to the hole in the adapter in the pic. Unless the adapter is upside down in the pic?

brant
    Free Member

It’s upside down.

nedrapier

Brilliant. Thank you very much – the final piece of the puzzle.

Didn’t understand your first post, so I appreciate you coming back!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘front mechs – normal v direct fit + adapter’ is closed to new replies.