Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • front mech outer plate, hitting crank arm before big ring can be selected
  • flyinbrian
    Free Member

hi there everyone have just tried to fit a kcnc triple chainset and bb to my scott spark, but when i go for the big ring the outer plate of the front mech hits the crank arm before i can get it onto the big ring, a bit of history here, just removed a perfectly working triple raceface setup triple[new one triple too] i have fitted the spacer as it says to drive side [73mm shell} there was also an o ring on the drive side on new set up on the inside of the bb cup[ tried with and without] any ideas please as to problem||||

ctznsmith
    Free Member

is it the middle of the outer mech plate or towards one end? If towards one end do you need to alter the angle of you mech? Alternatively is the big ring spaced out off the chainset for some reason?

flyinbrian
    Free Member

hi i have tried altering the angle of the mech both ways but have put back so it basically parallel to the chain rings and about 2mm clearance height wise on the big ring. all rings seem same distance apart!!!

EccentricEllis

Setting up front mech.

1. put it on the smallest ring. (let the tension off the cable)
    2. Loosen the bolt that clamps it onto the frame and adjust it so its parallel with the big ring.
    3. nip the bolt.
    4. just pull it out slightly, you want it to be about a mm over the top of the big chain ring. (remember to spin the cranks, some teeth are bigger than others)
    5. tighten the bolt that clamps it to the seat tube.
    6. double check the tension on the mech cable, put a tad of slack in it, but too much though.
    7. unscrew the L screw on the mech, just a tad, it should jump straight up.
    8. make sure you adjust the screw to the point where it just goes up the the big ring but only just about.

9. TEST RIDE!
    It's always different in the stand.

Good luck.

Keep it real.
    Ellis.

flyinbrian
    Free Member

hi thanks,but the issue must be something to do with the chainset set up,but im not sure what

cynic-al
    Free Member

Issue relates to distance between big ring and crank arm (presuming front mech and its set up are correct).

Got any pics?

whippersnapper
    Free Member

do you need another spacer?

wwaswas

did you get it from Burls? Might be worth giving them a call and see what they say. As per cynic-al – the issue is the disctance from chainring to inside of crank arm and they may know what the solution is?

Maybe a 'narrower' front mech woudl allow the inner plate to move further out before the outer one hits the arm?

flyinbrian
    Free Member

hi there all, thanks for the advice, problem now appears to be solved, works on the stand at least, not had chance to test ride yet!! it appears the problem was the xtr front mech, it seem that the outer plate was bent out over uniformally down the length of it and tha was enough to cause the rubbing on the new chainset, i checked it against another mech and found it was out by approx 2-3 mm . happy days and thanks for the advice. most post seemed to be pointing to a front mech problem which indeed it was !!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘front mech outer plate, hitting crank arm before big ring can be selected’ is closed to new replies.