• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by sv.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Front mech on 456
  • carlos
    Free Member

Hi All,

Tell me what front mech your using on your On One 456. And what length Octalink BB, 113 or 118.

Thanks

Carl

carlphillips
    Free Member

normal deore on mine, top pull, works fine

PJay
    Free Member

I don’t have a 456, but I do have an 853 geared Inbred. In terms of front mech. I’m using a conventional top pull XT unit (which works very well). I think you’ll need a 28.6mm clamp.

In terms of axle length, my 853 has the wide, bridgeless stays and I needed a 118mm axle (I’m using Octalink too) to give much chainstay clearance, chainsuck can still be pretty damaging though! 118mm should give a 50mm chainline I think. If you have a later 456 with bridgeless stays I reckon you’ll need 118mm too.

jonb
    Free Member

I’ve used both 113 on 118 bottom BB. They both work fine, the longer one I put on when the old one died and I was only running a double and bash, it gave a better chain line.

I’m using a top swing LX front mech but it’s on its last legs. I’ll replace it with a conventional rear mech as the top swing ones always seem to accumulate mud and clog up and freeze in winter. Can’t remember the size but it’s on the on-one website.

carlos
    Free Member

Yeah got a 28.6 Shimano Deore FD M510 which is dual pull, and running a 118 BB axle but just can’t seem to get the bloody thing working on all 3 chainrings. It’s as if it won’t move the chain over far enough for the outer ring. Tried moving it up and down the seat tube without any joy. I can get it set up on the inner and middle fine but the outer is another storey.

Have I spent to long at work today and missing something obvious?

cheers

jonb
    Free Member

Limit screws?

With the cable un done will it physically move out far enough by hand?

Check out the park tools website for their superb guide to setting up gears. You may know moct of it, I though I did, but it really helped and made everything quicker.

carlos
    Free Member

no it’s not the limit screws and seems to move out far enough by hand, I’ll try the park site and have another go.

Cheers

CountZero

I’ve got an Inbred 567 which has the same seat tube and I have a SRAM X-series front mech. And an X9 rear. With a six year old RF ISIS BB. Not much help on the last item, I’m afraid.

sv

What’s a 567 Inbred?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Front mech on 456’ is closed to new replies.