Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Front Mech
  • chrisa87
    Free Member

Afternoon,

Still a bit new to this biking thing so on the look-out for some information.

The front mech has been playing up recently. I think its a fairly standard (3×8 system). As I try to change from the smallest cog to the middle the chain just slips off, but it will jump from the smallest to the largest cog where I can step it down. This obviously doesnt make for fun riding.

Does this all mean that the actual mechanism has a fault or the middle cog?

Hope this is clear enough for someone to help.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Sounds like the limit screws and the indexing are off. Easyish to fix with a multitool. Park Tools Guide

foxyrider
    Free Member

I would say that it sounds like you are trying to shift from granny ring (inner) to middle but it does not engage and drops back to the granny ring?

I would say that your indexing is out – have you tried rotating the left shifter adjustment (clockwise) to take up some slack?

chrisa87
    Free Member

To be honest I’ve not tried much, apart from checking there was no obvious damage to the mechanism or bent items etc.

However, I’ll give this a go. For some reason I’ve said I’ll do the weekender and was looking forward to it so a broken bike is not something I want right now.

Cheers Guys

chrisa87
    Free Member

Seems to be sorted. Thanks for the help!

foxyrider
    Free Member

nice one 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Front Mech’ is closed to new replies.