Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Front door conundrum
  • slowjo
    Free Member

We are looking for a front door. We live in an old house (cottage maybe 150+ years old in Suffolk) in a fairly exposed location so the wind fairly whistles through our existing one.

Mrs slowjo has given me a brief of finding a new front door that won't leak air into the house (stuffing newspaper into the letter box wasn't an acceptable fix!) but doesn't look as if it came from a house on a new housing estate.

Does anyone know of anywhere that might make/supply something suitable?

boxelder

Quick Google found these
    Find a joiner you trust and see what they suggest, or buy online.

Or, go to a few local builders merchants. It's not that tricky you know….

slowjo
    Free Member

So why couldn't I find that ? 😳

Local builders merchants…. done that , been there.

boxelder

So why couldn't I find that ?

Every box needs a blunt pencil????

slowjo
    Free Member

More of a rhetorical question really but hey! 🙂

project
    Free Member

Alot of the so called exterior hardwood doors are now just veneered over a lego block construction, called engineered timber, avoid if you can.

Try a local reclaimed doors centre,then get a joiner to fit it for you, not some bloke who fitted a door for Mrs Jones at work, and fixes cars for a living.

As for the draught proofing a small bead down the outside of the frame,and a Evitex seal al round the door, look for the one like a windscreen wiper,also a decent curtain behind the door stops noise and draught.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Sorry for stating the obvious, but I couldnt help thinking that 'back door conundrum' would have sparked more interest. 😐

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

A difference of opinion………..do not have a second-hand front entrance door fitted. It will have been shot in for another frame, you will be very lucky if you end up with an even penny gap all round. The hinges will not line up with the housings in the old frame (and quite likely be housed too deep). Nor will the locks. It will quite probably be twisted. It will quite probably have been patched up where locks and ironmongery has been moved and their position changed over the years – all potential weak points. Get a new door. Or sort your old one out……plant some lipping or larger/extra stops or fit draught excluder ? If you weren't going to do the work yourself, then seek the advice of whoever is doing it – after they've seen the problem. IMO.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Have a look at Rock Door. I've fitted a few and they're very very good. Far superior to pvc or timber

SonicTheHedgehog
    Free Member

I'm a Carpenter and Joiner. I use these guys. Very helpful and reliable.

http://www.howdens.com/product-range/doors-joinery-collection/

Does exactly what it says on the tin 😛

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Howdens = average quality, premium price

Edric64
    Free Member

A reclamation yard for a door could be a good bet

project
    Free Member

Howdens appear to have gone right down lately, with prices going up.

EG, bifold door at Wickes, £45.00, at howdens £60.00 plus vat, oh and why do the doors there come complete with footprints on them.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I've had a trade account at Howdens for years but have never used them. Their prices are crazy compared to magnet trade and the never seem have stock in. They don't stock the range of materials magnet do either, just dozens of kitchens that all look alike.
    You can get far better quality at lower prices from the likes of magnet and others. Plus you don't have to go in 4 times to get the best price!

project
    Free Member

oh and another thing, B and Q Trade, the prices are lower than in the shop, but higher than Toolstation or Screwfix,and they dont reduce their prices to match.

But if you take a toolstation catalogue into the main shop, they will price match.

Toolstation,is partly owned by Travis Perkins and Wickes, and Screwfix and B and Q are part of Kingfisher.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Really can't be arsed with the muppets in b an q. I can see b an q from my local screwfix of selco is right next door!

The 60% off cooke and lewis doors is nice though

5lab

is fixing up the existing door (if it's original) not an option? I'd have thought if it's just gaps in a panel it might be easier to seal\refurbish it in some way rather than buy a new door?

john_drummer
    Free Member
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Front door conundrum’ is closed to new replies.