Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Front derailleur hanger fixing
  • billygoatgruff
    Free Member

Is it possible to put a standard shimano deore triple ring attachment band on a mountain bike frame which has the newer welded on bracket for a double chain ring. I am thinking I may be able to use a file and grind down the welded attachment so the frame is almost circular and fit the deore band which can be moved up and down ?

any suggestions ?

thanks

jonba
    Free Member

Can you not just buy a direct mount mech, they are <£20 on CRC? You can get them in 2 and 3 ring versions.

wwaswas

why would you want to do this?

Would the resulting tube even be a standard diameter for a band on mech?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

why would you want to do this?

Already has a mech, would rather trash several hundred (?) quids worth of frame than buy a new one. (weird)

Would the resulting tube even be a standard diameter for a band on mech?

Almost certainly not, would have to get a new mech with an adjustable band (do they even make these anymore?)

Speshpaul

I think you are asking the wrong question, really we need to ascertain if the direct mount hanger is truly done for.
    Pictures would be good.

bigyinn
    Free Member

You should be able to get a triple mech for a braze on front mech. I wouldnt go hacking up a perfectly good frame if I could help it though.

wwaswas

I think I’ve worked it out – you want to run a triple mech but the hanger is only setup for a double?

Before you go too much further I’d check the longer cage on a triple’s not going to hit either the frame or a tyre.

And do you *really* need the extra range of a triple over a double?

billygoatgruff
    Free Member

I am buying a frame with double mount and have a triple chainset to put on with a new triple derailleur. I wanted to know if there is any way I can easily do it with out buying new set up. Was not going to start hacking the frame, just wondered what the options were

billygoatgruff
    Free Member

And yes the frame tubing diameter is the same.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Realistically the options are to hack at the frame and potentially bodge it.
    Or buy a new front mech and bash guard and go 2x.

Half an hour on a gear ratio calculation site will show you what gears you lose. As long as you are honest about your capabilities and speeds.

scotroutes

Are you sure the existing mount won’t handle a triple mech?

The “band” type come in a low version and a high version. One of these might fit under or over the direct mount plate.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Assuming the frame design will permit one or other variant of the front mech other than a braze on type….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Front derailleur hanger fixing’ is closed to new replies.