• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Del.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • From 'no frills' bike lights to 'some frills'. Advice required.
  • bravohotel9er
    Free Member

I’d quite like to try out this whole night riding lark, especially since I seem to be working an ever more antisocial shift pattern.

The only bike lights I’ve ever had were ultra-cheap Halfords specials, so I’m in the market for some new ones.

My requirements are thus:

1) Reasonable burn time (2/2.5hrs+ if possible)
    2) Suitable for my 25 minute ride to work at ungodly hours
    3) Bright enough to illuminate singletrack and ward off bands of doggers, Dorset Young Farmers and renegade woodland wildlife.

The Hope Vision 1 seems to fit the bill, but would I be better served by spending the extra and getting Hope Vison 2 instead?
    The other light that seemed reasonable for the money was a Nuke Proof Reactor.

I know a lot of people seem keen on DX, but I quite like the security of Hope’s after sale support.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

A Hope 1 with a helmet mounted Tesco AA cree torch is a solid and off road useful set up. I rate them. Not tried the Hope 2 but it looks good too. The 1 is very easy to remove and can even be used as a powerful torch. On its own, the light is plenty for commuting and light off roading.

benz
    Free Member

VFM? You’d get a DXmagicshine and decent torch (for helmet mount or backup), batteries and mount for under £100.

DX appear to be pretty decent in terms of returns, etc.

Plenty of folks on here will sell a decent light set – Troutie, Luminous, Four4th, etc – guess it depends how much you want to spend.

Although I have a Trout 7-Up, the Four4th look pretty good value.

Dx if you want to spend under £100, any of the folks above it you don’t.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Will investigate DX further.

They certainly seem to have a lot of fans on STW.

Del

A Hope 1 with a helmet mounted Tesco AA cree torch is a solid and off road useful set up

rather over-priced for what it is, and not really enough if you ride in the company of others, or at speed, IMO.
    a magicshine from DX and a cree wf-606A for your lid will see you right.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘From 'no frills' bike lights to 'some frills'. Advice required.’ is closed to new replies.