Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Frok upgrade question
  • dafunkphenomenon
    Free Member

Currently I have a 2010 Spesh Rockhopper which has some Rockshox Dart 3’s on it. I like the bike as a whole although I’ve changed the pedals, but I as thinking of upgrading the forks to something like a Reba.

I spoke to Specialized and they said the current is 100mm but would go to a max of 120mm before it starts affecting the performance. The axle/crown height would be 20mm more if I ran Reba’s at 120mm but I was thinking that given the Dart’s seem to have no sag and seem very ‘hard’ that actual difference would probably be less than this is in real life once the Reba’s were set up correctly. Does that sound reasonable or does it not work like that and would I be better off running the Reba’s at 100mm?

I’ve never had a bike with forks before so would I really notice a difference after a fork upgrade, especially from coil to air? As I say the Dart’s feel very ‘hard’ and don’t seem to have much give in them if that makes sense.

Thanks

Matt

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Put a tora on Mrs TJs Myka which is a similar bike – the improvement is noticeable and most (if not all) rockshox forks can be adjusted internally to give different travel

PJM1974
    Free Member

There us a vast difference in performance terms between your existing Dart 3s and a set of Rebas.

As you have pointed out, the Darts are coil sprung forks and it may be that the spring fitted is too firm for your needs.

Depending on your preferred riding style, a set of these would be ideal:
    Rockshox SiD

You can fine tune the travel with internal spacers or by fettling the positive and negative air pressures to suit.

granny_ring

Not velvet, it picks up fluff very easily

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

A fork like a Dart is very basic. It will have crude damping and a lot of internal froction, both of which will make it feel ‘hard’ as you describe. Upgrading to a Reba will have a big effect! It will actually move for starters! It will be smooth and supple and have proper damping and plenty of adjustment to get it feeling just right for you. I’d say it would be a very worthwhile upgrade. 120mm sounds like it will be fine. 🙂

oxym0r0n

!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’ve never had a bike with forks before

Wheelie much?

Anyway I’d say go for it, your reasoning sounds very reasonable.

dafunkphenomenon
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, and for pointing out the errors in my spelling 🙄

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Frok upgrade question’ is closed to new replies.