• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by aP.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Friston Forest – what kind of riding?
  • aP
    Free Member

I might be going to Seven Sisters Country Park and riding out through Friston Forest to Jevington and back in about 3 weeks time. What’s the riding like round there? Compared to say, Swinley/Surrey Hills? Will there be green chalk?

aP
    Free Member

Shirley there’s someone out there?

woodey
    Free Member

forest itself is not chalky like the downs, can be a mud-fest if its been raining

woodsy singletrack similiar to that around Dorking etc couple of donwhill tracks made by local joofs

use the marked trails to get up to the top (ridge above Jevington) and then look for gaps off the fireroads for the best singletrack.

Great pubs in Jevington and Alfriston

aP
    Free Member

Single speedable?

flipiddy
    Free Member

Hi aP,

haven’t been up there for a couple of years, but I’d say it’s definitely single-speed worthy. There are a few gradients, so I guess it depends like using your SS for that. Actually, now I come to think of it there is one steep climb you would probably be pushing up on a SS.

The Friston route can be a little dodgy when the chalk is wet, so watch for early morning dew or rain.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Was in the forest about week an half ago, some of the higher wider tracks can be a bit chalky and slippery if wet, the tracks up and down the steeper bits like the red and purple routes are a bit rooty and slippery still with lots of leaves and loose mud on the ground, and a lot of the lower singletrack stuff is still very muddy in places … but there’s also dry wider graval tracks and some of the singletrack stuff is dry but it’s just finding it, some of the tracks I did would start out dry, then I’d get bogged down in mud and water, then end up dry again … a right mixture at the moment!

aP
    Free Member

Thanks guys, its a work related thing so I shall just go and have fun. Guess I’ll leave the cross bike at home though……

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Friston Forest – what kind of riding?’ is closed to new replies.