Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Fried egg or pineapple ring?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Me and mrs. Starship are off to the cinema later to watch Ted. We’re then off for a pub lunch. I was perusing the menu of the Golden Lion and I saw the expected and very traditional gammon option. Now I’m 43 and I’ve seen said gammon option many times on a menu but for the first time, it struck me how bizarre it is that one is offered a fried egg OR a pineapple ring as an accompaniment. Where on Gods green earth did this originate? A ring of exotic fruit or a hen’s egg fried in oil.

Would sir prefer onion rings or a depleted uranium flechet with his haggis?

trail_rat
    Free Member

dunno about that but off shore recently i was given the option of a bizmark steak ….

i joked about it being a steak that was sunk but the joke went down like a torpedod ship…..

Steak cooked with a fried egg on top completely ruining the flavour of the steak 🙁

ton

egg.

clunker

Ask for both

derek_starship
    Free Member

Ton. I knew I could rely on you for a comprehensive explanation. Many. Many thanks. 😀

highclimber
    Free Member

Both for me i’m afraid. I have to ask, as it’s pretty much standard option wherever I’ve seen gammon on the menu, where have you been?

brodie
    Free Member

+1 for both.

restless
    Free Member

Both for me. Its always offered like that anyway isn’t it?

creamegg
    Free Member

Both of course!

wallop

Is it the same person who invented the Hawaiian pizza?

Madness.

Bazz

When i was in the army “gammon Hawaiian style” would occasionally be offered in the cookhouse, it was a gammon steak with a ring of pineapple stuck to it with melted cheese. The egg/pineapple offering is pretty traditional now but only the RLC have served it to me with added cheese.

novaswift
    Free Member

fruit ruins meat!

labsey
    Free Member

Ask for half and half just to be awkward but yes, fruit ruins meat.

wallop

Not necessarily. Pork and apple sausages anyone? NOM.

labsey
    Free Member

Pork and apple sausages anyone?

Always an exception 😀

pennine
    Free Member

Both at home but egg otherwise

ratherbeintobago

The egg/pineapple offering is pretty traditional now but only the RLC have served it to me with added cheese

Cheese, gammon (OK, ham), egg, toast = the mighty RN delicacy known as cheesyhammyeggy.

Pineapple in any context is the work of Satan himself.

Andy

tomhoward

Again both. A man should never have to choose when It comes to food. If there are options, I want all of them.

maccruiskeen

recently i was given the option of a bizmark steak

a place near glasgow offers “Chicken Monte Cristo” which I guess alludes to the chucks not being free range 🙂

Bunnyhop

Pineapple, covers one of your 5 a day.

RustySpanner

Well, you wouldn’t have a bacon and pineapple sarnie now would you?
    And gammon is just bacon with pretentions, so eggiweg it is, every time.

brakes
    Free Member

I’ll have the egg please, and instead of the pineapple I’ll have another egg please if that’s ok please.
    Thank you.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I asked this question to my Uncle (a chef) when I was a nipper, he claimed the pineapple tenderised the meat. Could easily be lies though, he also claimed Moore to be the best Bond.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Fresh pineapple that’s been seared on the griddle – yes; cold tinned pineapple ring that’s been swimming in syrup – no.

Slogo
    Free Member

i have another slice of Gammon on my Gammon. i buy the vac bags with two slices 🙄

Usually an egg to top it off. Don’t usually have pineapple in the house!

MSP

Pineapple on gammon is bad, it’s very very bad, but it hasn’t sunk to the depths of the abomination that is raisins in curry.

Bregante

Fruit and meat? Are you mad?

it hasn’t sunk to the depths of the abomination that is raisins in curry.

This.

chvck
    Free Member

Very, very true.

Drac

I’m 39 and never been in a pub offering gammon steak without these options in one form or another, how can this be your first time?

mandog

+1 for half and half.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I had the Wexford chicken. It was good. And fruit free.

Northwind

Gammon steak without an egg on top is an offence against nature.

sparkyrhino

Got be an egg, a duck egg is even better.
    As for raisons in chipshop curry its the work of the devil.been a good northern bloke,i always have gravy anyway..

jamj1974

+1 Raisins in curry is just wrong… If gammon for breakfast/brunch then definately egg. Lunch or dinner then definitely pineapple!

Pineapple does tenderise meat and also aids digestion!

andyl
    Free Member

ham and pineapple sandwiches – yummy!

It would be both for me – especially if, as mentioned, the pineapple is fresh and griddled.

My favourite burger is from New Zealand that I had in a sports bar:

beef burger
    beetroot
    pineapple
    egg
    cheese

_tom_
    Free Member

Both.

jamj1974

Also smoked bacon, pineapple, rocket with a hint of home-made mayo sandwiches are the dogs!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Fried egg or pineapple ring?’ is closed to new replies.