Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Fridge door won't open
  • wwaswas

well it will, but there seems to be a huge vacuum in there stopping it.

Caught my daughter bracing one foot on the unit next to it so she can get enough power to pull it this morning so something has to be done.

It’s a tall, built in, fridge (about 6ft tall inside a floor to ceiling kitchen unit). The unit door is attached to the fridge door so the whole lot together weighs a fair bit.

Seal seems to be fine (else we wouldn’t get the vacuum stopping it opening?). I’ve checked the hinges and there’s no movement.

It’s been installed about 2 years and not had any problems to date with it and it doesn’t seemed to have moved inside the carcass at all.

any ideas?

Pigface
    Free Member

Smart fridge wont open unless you are really hungry? Its the future.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Its a new govt obesity measure. Lose a few pounds and it’ll open easily.

Drac

Take the Vacuum out, tis a silly place to store one.

qwerty
    Free Member

…. who you gonna call?

leffeboy

Sometimes it depends a bit on where you open it. If you open it towards one corner then the seal will break easily at the corner and it opens without problems. If you try and open it exactly in the middle of the edge of the door that can be toughest. I tend to always open it from towards the top corner of the door

and

Take the Vacuum out, tis a silly place to store one

🙂

wwaswas

Take the Vacuum out, tis a silly place to store one.

🙂

It’s quite a posh one so I thought I’d make a Miele out of it.

Pigface
    Free Member

That sucks

Gary_M
    Free Member

I think you need to chill out.

wwaswas

pic if it helps.

Fridge is inside the unit in the middle. handle in middle of the door and no real option to move it, tbh.

(yes the floor needs a sweep – the kids have just finished making breakfast…)

I was wondering if there was some sort of drain hole for condensation off the back wall to fall through at the back that also lets air in as the door is opened but it’s become blocked?

molgrips
    Free Member

Does it always do it, or only after it’s just been opened previously?

The drain holes do block of course, so that could be it too.

wwaswas

If you’re careful and close the door gently it doesn’t do it, if you let the self closer do it’s thing then it happens every time.

JoB
    Free Member

give the door seals a good clean, there might be a bit of smeg causing them to stick

wrightyson
    Free Member

Silicone spray on the seals? However don’t come moaning when the beer isn’t cold anymore!!

bikebouy
    Free Member

God abhors a vacuum 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

It appears your fridge is trapped in the closet.

wwaswas

God abhors a vacuum

I am sure it’s got neff all to do with God.

bikebouy
    Free Member

But how do you really know? 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Probably just that it’s now summer, in winter when the house is “room temperature” or below and the air is dry (cold air outside, bring it in and warm it up and it’s relative humidity drops as it’s the same moisture but it’s capacity increases) then filling the fridge with air, closing it and contracting hat air and condensing the water has little effect.

Fill it with 25C air at 70% RH and it’ll do twice as much work contracting it, and there’s a lot more me water to condense too.

Sui
    Free Member

maybe you just not putting eNeff effort into opening it.

IGMC

damnit, beaten to the Neff gag

wwaswas

I’ll give the seals a wipe with some silicone fork lube and check the drain thing at the back.

Maybe if I put a fan heater inside with the Hoover I could stop the air contracting so much?

Greybeard
    Free Member

Put a bit of thin cord or pvc tape on the seal face to create a small leak path and reduce the vacuum? But if you’re going to try pvc tape do it before you use silicone lube!

bigyinn
    Free Member

There are small vent / drain holes in most fridges, so Id guess that one or all of them are blocked.
    Often (even with frost free fridge freezers) if the door has been left open a smidge ice can build up and block vents etc. I’d suggest having a good go at defrosting it and checking the drain holes arent blocked by ice or peas.
    Often in fridges there are drain holes at the lower rear of the fridge compartment to collect condensation and allow it to drain into a plastic catch tray located on top of the compressor where it can evaporate.

wwaswas

well, it turns out that once you remove the salad drawers and have a delve round the back that a carelessly discarded grape is exactly the right size to block the combined drain and anti-vacuum hole at the base of the back wall of the fridge.

Once the grape was removed all seemed tickety-boo.

I de-smeg’d the seals just in case too but I haven’t lubed them up.

scotroutes

Sell it to Harry The Spider.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Having solved the problem wwaswas can now chill… and everyone else can cool it with the fridge gags, though some of them were qwhite goods.

molgrips
    Free Member

I did not know that the drain hole was also pressure release, but it makes perfect sense 🙂

TimP
    Free Member

wwaswas

did not know that the drain hole was also pressure release, but it makes perfect sense

Me neither.

I feel my day has not been wasted. I may even post on the ‘rewarding things at work’ thread.

project
    Free Member

Bet them kitchen fridge doors cost a thousand quid, luckily the roofer hadnt stained them.

gnusmas

Bet them kitchen fridge doors cost a thousand quid, luckily the roofer hadnt stained them

😆

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member
    WackoAK
    Free Member

though some of them were qwhite goods.

Post of the day!

pondo

Does it always do it, or only after it’s just been opened previously?

The drain holes do block of course, so that could be it too.
    Ooo, interesting – we’ve got a chest freezer that requires the deadlift skills of Mariusz Pudzianowski to open if it’s only just been shut. I shall have a delve at the weekend. 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

I was going to suggest you turn the fridge off and let it warm up enough for the air to expand and relieve the low pressure inside.

wwaswas

a chest freezer

Storing bra’s in the fridge?

pondo

Nothing nicer on a hot day. 🙂

wordnumb
    Free Member

Once the grape was removed all seemed tickety-boo.

This sentence is so good I thought it needed repeating, and perhaps reusing in other contexts.

njee20
    Free Member

Ooo, interesting – we’ve got a chest freezer that requires the deadlift skills of Mariusz Pudzianowski to open if it’s only just been shut. I shall have a delve at the weekend

Pah, you’re just showing off that a) you have a chest freezer, like off of the 80s, and b) you can spell Mariusz Pudzianowski.

benp1

Hilarious thread with a good outcome 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Fridge door won't open’ is closed to new replies.