Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • There’s a ghost in my house
  • Harry_the_Spider

I live in a pair of weavers’ cottages, originally built in 1810 but knocked into one sometime during the early 1900s. The place has bags of character and some quirky odd features.

The oddest is the door to my daughter’s bedroom, as it opens on its own. This is in the oldest bit of the house and is one of the two rooms still in their original 1810 layout. I could understand this if it didn’t close properly, but it has a latch. We hear the latch pop and the door open almost every night. A quick check on the kids always reveals that they are asleep.

We were talking about it last night and only then did it occur to us that this was somewhat unusual.

Any ideas?

wwaswas

don’t tell the kids would be my advice.

beyond that, fit a latch that can’t just be lifted to open the door and see what happens.

I suspect it’s a dodgy latch and a draft or something is enough to cause the door to open.

isitafox
    Free Member

Sell up and move out!

Pigface
    Free Member

Indian burial ground?

wwaswas

I bet your Spider senses are tingling…

Klunk
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9We2XsVZfc[/video]

muggomagic

Probably just one of the many missing prisoners we keep hearing about. So nothing to worry about.

EDIT: Just one of these guys I expect. They look like a friendly bunch.

Lodgers

oldnpastit

House is moving a few millimetres in that area – perhaps due to changes in humidity or temperature, and the door is not quite even.

Do you have any way to measure the shape (angles) of the door accurately?

hooli

I am a grown man but I suspect I would sh&^ myself if it happened in my house 😯

JEngledow
    Free Member

Time to call in this bell-end:

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yes, you have a ghost in your house that likes to open doors. I understand this is very common with your basic apparitions, despite being non corporeal they have a real problem with closed doors and very much like to open them.

I suggest you watch films like the sixth sense, the exorcist and poltergeist as these will reassure you that you have nothing to worry about.

Or adjust the latch.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d suggest you fit better latches or even 5 pin locks, perhaps a bar across and a padlock.

All whilst you daughters in bed of course.

Don’t thank me. 😉

MoreCashThanDash

Houses do strange things. Try and make the latch more secure and see if it stops.

Don’t tell the kids, wait for them to tell you if they think there is anything odd going on.

I deal with a lot of old houses. Some people think their house is haunted. The oddest one I have dealt with was the old guy who told me he didn’t believe in ghosts but he would never sleep in the bedroom tbe kids thought was haunted. He was the most rational and sceptical ghost reporter I’ve met but he was scared of that room.

molgrips
    Free Member

Do you have any way to measure the shape (angles) of the door accurately?

Get a laser pointer, tape it securely to one side of the door and mark a spot where the beam lands. Monitor it throughout the day.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

swap doors with your man here

sharkbait
    Free Member

I think we have a ghost in our house also, except this one like to switch lights on but never off.

Actually I think we have three… all girls 😉

Harry_the_Spider

The latch has to lift 5mm or more and there isn’t that much play in the door, frame or wall. It has been there for over 200 years and is solid.

It doesn’t bother us to be honest. It doesn’t bother my daughter either. Occasionally, if it wakes her, she will appear in our bedroom and tell us that her door just opened.

croen
    Free Member

Saw this on Reddit yesterday, might be worth not watching this one OP.[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUQhNGEu2KA[/video]

pondo

I am a grown man but I suspect I would sh&^ myself if it happened in my house

This is the boat I would find myself in.

Harry_the_Spider

It doesn’t bother us.

<POP!>

“Go and close Em’s door… and put the kettle on while you are up.”

hora
    Free Member

In my house two females have died (of natural causes) – one 30 of cancer, the other in her 70s heart attack. Both married to the same bloke obviously decades apart.

The room where the 30yr old died- my remote keeps moving from my ‘preferred’ spot on the chair arm where I sit and usually moved up into the shelves.

I am sceptical though. If ghosts exist why aren’t we tripping ove rthem all the time?

dan1980
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

It has been there for over 200 years and is solid.

It can still move though. Timber framed houses move around all the time when the ground under them moves.

globalti
    Free Member

If the houses were built in 1810 and bearing in mind the tendency to have lots of kids, how many people do you think have lived in them in their 204 years of existence? If ghosts really do exist (and I’m still looking for proof) the chances of something happening are pretty high.

Drac

“Go and close Em’s door… and put the kettle on while you are up.”

There’s the problem. You need to teach them to put the kettle on for you too.

martinhutch

In my house two females have died (of natural causes) – one 30 of cancer, the other in her 70s heart attack. Both married to the same bloke obviously decades apart.

The room where the 30yr old died- my remote keeps moving from my ‘preferred’ spot on the chair arm where I sit and usually moved up into the shelves.

I wish I had a ghost that would tidy the bloody place up a bit. Does the channel mysteriously change over to Loose Women as well?

jonnym92

Get some video cameras in there.

Suspect there is a draft coupled with a door that doesn’t quite fit. Does the temperature change at all?

Used to work in a really old pub with similar goings on, doors opening and closing seemingly on their own. Just put it down to the character of the house!

hora
    Free Member

I wish I had a ghost that would tidy the bloody place up a bit. Does the channel mysteriously change over to Loose Women as well?

For two May’s in a row the kitchen used to be ‘noisy’ at night. Plastic bin lid flapping (solved with a 5lt bottle of water placed ontop).

Mrshora weirdly has forgotten all about these! All shes remembers is the house being very cheap and nothing else mattered.

DT78
    Free Member

I used to scoff at this stuff. My grandparents had a bedroom that I hated sleeping in as a kid, I always had nightmares, the window being blown out and basically being grabbed / sucked out the window. Never told anyone about it (I used to not really speak much as a kid…) then my sisters can along and as there was 2 of them I was moved to the box room. No more nightmares.

20 years later at a family Xmas my sisters mentioned they hated that room and used to have bad nightmares every time they slept in it. I’d never discussed that with anyone…no idea if that is ‘haunted’ but I definitely get a bad feeling about some places / rooms.

I don’t see dead people though.

fasthaggis

OP

I think you need to try and stop thinking about ghosts.The more you think about them ,the more they will appear.They will then tell all thier ghost mates and really start to wind you up,mostly late at night when you are trying to keep your heartrate down .Not posting on the internet about it should help.

binners

You are Mark E Smith, and I claim my sacking from The Fall 😀

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=180Sq7zMmWc[/video]

hora
    Free Member

I used to scoff at this stuff. My grandparents had a bedroom that I hated sleeping in as a kid, I always had nightmares, the window being blown out and basically being grabbed / sucked out the window. Never told anyone about it (I used to not really speak much as a kid…) then my sisters can along and as there was 2 of them I was moved to the box room. No more nightmares.

20 years later at a family Xmas my sisters mentioned they hated that room and used to have bad nightmares every time they slept in it. I’d never discussed that with anyone…no idea if that is ‘haunted’ but I definitely get a bad feeling about some places / rooms.

I don’t see dead people though.

Fungal/mould spores in the room can cause such things in children where they sleep..

wwaswas

we have a stair poltergeist in our house.

any item I place on the bottom three steps to ‘take up later’ mysteriously find their way up stairs and into an appropriate drawer/cupboard.

I reckon it likes my wife more than me though ‘cos it only appears when she’s in the house regardless of when I put stuff on the stairs.

sadexpunk

any item I place on the bottom three steps to ‘take up later’ mysteriously find their way up stairs and into an appropriate drawer/cupboard.

haha, sounds exactly like me. everything lives temporarily on those bottom 3 stairs 😀

andytherocketeer

I suggest watching that BBC Ghostwatch “Live” (should be available on Youtube)

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

B&Q do a range of doors..

andytherocketeer

It’s probably Sulley (and co.)

joolsburger
    Free Member

Although some things are inexplicable it’s really not ghosts. It’s more likely to be Aliens. Aliens are well known for travelling across the galaxy to mess about with peoples doors, barns, light aircraft and then stick things up their bottoms.

It’s 100% aliens or ghosts

http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/afterlife/ghost1.htm

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Stick some bluetac on the latch tonight. May stop the latch from lifting. If it works it may also p*** the ghost off so much you will be sucked into an alternative world.

On anoter note I have always disliked Ghosts.

Much prefer the cube and canyon range of bikes.

DrP

I am sceptical though. If ghosts exist why aren’t we tripping over them all the time?

Why aren’t there caveman ghosts?
    Or cow ghosts?
    Or ant ghosts?

If ghosts can walk through walls, why don’t they fall through the floor boards? Where do they stop falling?
    People have probably dies in lots of houses. In fact, the older the house, the more people that have dies. Why aren’t all doors opening?

I wonder if ghosts really do exist you know…….

DrP

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘There’s a ghost in my house’ is closed to new replies.