Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Friday Ride -Scotland -Where?
  • upsetter
    Free Member

Looking to go out for a ride tomorrow, with heavy rain forecast for much of Scotland what is best place to go. Not Glentress as I will probably be there on Sunday, not been to Mabie or Ae what are they like in the wet. Open to other suggestions.

Upsetter

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

Well since you are so generalistic with ‘Scotland’, why not Golspie? Great riding to be had amongst a lovely backdrop.

upsetter
    Free Member

Cheers MM but bit far from weegieland, South or Central Scotland. Was at Carron Valley last weekend so thats ruled out as well, just for tomorrow.

Kit
    Free Member

Drumlanrig 8)

upsetter
    Free Member

I had thought about Drumlanrig but is it not very muddy when wet, suppose that cafe,showers and bikewash compensate this.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Don’t know if the showers etc are open at the mo. Think the cafe is only open at wkends and pretty sure Rik takes Jan off. I was there at New Year, not riding but some guys who were said it was riding well and didn’t look too muddy.

Kit
    Free Member

Drumlanrig is rarely particularly muddy. I was there on Saturday and was no wetter/muddier than anywhere else at this time of year.

Has the benefits of: bike shop, bike wash, showers, (not that good) cafe, sheltered trails.

Kit
    Free Member

Ah yes, on a Friday maybe the facilities aren’t open… Still, it’ll be warmer and drier overhead than anywhere else 🙂

upsetter
    Free Member

Good mind now made up for Drumlanrig, how hilly is it comparable to 7Stanes routes.

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

Not very hilly…no huge long hills.

upsetter
    Free Member

Thanks MM, Kit, steve

Upsetter

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

IMHO Drumlanrig is more enjoyable when wet (which to be fair, is most of the time!) It tends to make you focus a lot more, as there as so many off camber rooted corners.

I’ve been down there many times when Rik’s not open, the cafe is not open, but the shower room is open, as is the bike wash area.

If the cafe ain’t open, head 2 miles south to Thornhill, and go to the first pubon the right after the main crossroads, the buccleuch arms iirc, good grub, good beer. Proper hand cut chips. Mmmmm.

Trekster

good cafe on`t other side of the road if pub grub is not available.

Could do Mabie or Ae before/after Drum.

Diversions @ Ae, good cafes @ both, showers @ Ae.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Friday Ride -Scotland -Where?’ is closed to new replies.