Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Friday Performance and Photography thread – Wet and wild edition
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another Friday dawns, the rain falls heavy on the trails before we all head out to ride for the weekend, so how about we while away some of the day with another P&P thread! The idea is simple, share some of the finest sporting photography you can find. That’s it, really.

This week (as a very rough outline of a theme!) let’s see something wet and wild. This sort of thing;

and

Parks Bonifay. Silly name, superb wakeboarder!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member
    trout
    Free Member

j_me
    Free Member

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Love that kitesurf one! Superb stuff all round to start us off, folks!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Chris Kovarik getting loose at Champery

nbt

Natural born athletes.

Leaping Salmon by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

29erKeith
    Free Member

BikeBouy how on earth did you manage that!

looks like a fair size 30-40ft?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hahaha 41ft of monster over canvased, over eager racing boat, did it at Cowes week in 50knts TWS and 30knts SOG (boat speed), broach then pinned and flip up pitchpole.. I’m hanging off the rear guardrail like a monkey, I didn’t fall in we only lost one guy who we picked up after the laydown.. Happened just off Gunnard Green near the rocks, doesn’t look that windy but it was and we were leading a group of 18 others until we nailed it.. didn’t retire mind, just recovered then kite back up.

j_me
    Free Member

😯 @ bikebouy
    Do you have a full size pic?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I think that’s a Beken pic, isn’t it, Bikebuoy? Sure I saw it in their window once.

29erKeith
    Free Member

I’m surprised the spinnaker held and didn’t tear, 30Knts SOG is bloody impressive
    I had a similar moment a few years back when a massive gust off the hill coming through the Corin Narrows nearly tipped us right over. I was holding the port side guard rail very tightly, my running partner took an unexpected dip he was on the starboard, really caught us by surprise.

We had a pretty interesting start to this years 3Peaks Yacht Race too, pretty big swells and fairly strong winds I spent most of the first night with my head in a plastic bag throwing up 😳 I’m definitely a Runner/Rider not a sailor

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh dear I just googled “mud wrestling”…don’t do it at work guys!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hahaaha bloomin ek, fellow yotties on a bike forum… wehey!!!

Ay, t’was windy that day but I’ve been in windier. Thing was we were all gungho and going for it, as you do, testosterone was oosing, was hilarious in the bar later (herumph, I still have the hangover, hahaha) The boat was a BH41, quite trick back in 96… and one of the crop of Mumm30’s, Farr40’s type of crowd we were all sailing back then..
    Anyhoo’s thing was, we’d left the bow hatch open ready for a drop the mark was about 1/4 mile away and taken a few hits on the nose and well, the bow took a few waves in, we were all hanging off the back except BowBoy and he was just hanging on the forestay, jumped one wave of about 5ft then the rudder came out of the water and we lost steering, then a small laydown pop back up and the nose went down.. quite graceful really, the photo looks more exciting than it actually was, seemed to be in slow motion.. Anyway as the kite was full on the broach it collapsed quickly then we atayed layed down for about 5mins and when we popped back up we pinned it head to wind and just pulled the kite in, no damage at all..only to our egos, was a full audience on the Green, hahahaa.. I’ve got one of them blown up at home on my bog wall signed by the lads.

Heres some more shots and some more extreme shots.. I sailed a Melges 24 for a good few years and if you are talking about fun boats.. they are one of the best..

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/fringe/2006/images/silk2.jpg

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/uploads//monthly_04_2009/post-4888-1240871493_thumb.png

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/uploads//post-4718-1135397604_thumb.jpg

It’s actually quite a famous photo now and we apeared in the Daily Telegraph and Times when sailing was being covered in the daily rags, though I don’t ever think it apreaed in the News of the World.. funny that.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Bikebouy If you fancy a crack at the 3 Peaks Yacht Race give me a shout, as a team we didn’t have the £££££ for a fast boat and we really suffered in the light winds with the cruisy Beneteau 36 we used.

The first few boats this year were a Ker35, Hod 35 and a Reflex 38

next year we must be due some better winds, 3 years now with fairly light winds.

probably the only race where crews regularly carry oars! 😯

JEngledow
    Free Member

I just googled “mud wrestling”…don’t do it at work guys!

Ooops, too late…. 😯

Pyro

Clicky

If anyone could post the picture up for all to see, i’d be grateful. Smegging phone browser…

matt_outandabout

*waves as another sailory type*
    All my old pics are film – I need to scan some in of the Tempest racing…Great old beasts…

Anyhow, some more watery fun these days:

willjones
    Free Member

*waves at all the boaties* off down for the Swan Europeans tomorrow, desperately hoping to be able recreate Bikebouys epic photo (not my boat). Honoured to be sharing a thread with you you nutter!

EDIT – typo

molgrips
    Free Member

I do not understand all this sailing talk but it sounds jolly exciting!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    I do not understand all this sailing talk but it sounds jolly exciting!

Hell yeah!

The utterly mental Hydroptere. Fast isn’t a good enough word for this beast!

And, kicking it in an old skool flava, innit tho
    Merlin Rockets. Love ’em!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Wehay!!! Rockets at Salcombe…

UTTERLY Brill !!!

If you’re interested there are some “Oarsome” shots of Open60’s and Tri’s rattling around t’internet.. Google Groupama and you’ll see some amazing overcanvased machines..

Anyone sail a foiling Moth on here..?? We’ve 35 at my Club. They’re pretty fun..
    (scuttles off to find a piccy or two..)

bikebouy
    Free Member
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Family used to host Rocket Week, bikebuoy. 8)

Moth pic linked;

matt_outandabout

Groupama you say?

matt_outandabout

And I love the opening shot of the Kite surfer being overtaken…. 😮
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWINygISxDE&feature=related[/video]

trout
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Love the flying hulls on Brossard! That’s some big sail area, too!

I want to wakeboard behind a tri!

nedrapier

still gobsmacking:

Especially when you realise he’s a good way below sea level:

donsimon
    Free Member

And a proper boat.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member
    Anyone sail a foiling Moth on here..?? We’ve 35 at my Club. They’re pretty fun..(scuttles off to find a piccy or two..)

Ex-mothie here bikebouy, but pre-foilers. I gave up when I moved inland and there wasn’t enough room on the little reservoir I sailed at, but prior to that graduated from a bonfire find through Magnums and finally a lovely one-off Axeman. A very good friend still races at a high level (ex European champion) and is well into the foilers. Staggering stuff nowadays – I don’t think I could do it for 1 minute… plus I weigh about twice what I did when I was racing them!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Friday Performance and Photography thread – Wet and wild edition’ is closed to new replies.