Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Freezing cold feet are really spoiling the rides. EXO2 insoles?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I have always suffered with cold extremities. The most recent addition to the winter wardrobe was a pair of thick Craft mitts and a pair of neoprene overshoes. As far as overshoes go, I have tried many others as well.

The mitts do a sterling job of keeping the hands warm. The neoprene overshoes never do the job and whilst out on a long road ride this afternoon/evening where my feet actually felt like they were going to fall off, I decided enough is enough.

I have thought about winter boots, but not sure they will actually work with my shocking circulation, and if they don’t it’s an expensive mistake.

I just read about EXO2 heated insoles and wanted to ask whether anyone has a pair and if so, what’s the verdict?

Thanks

beaker

Got my first winter boots for Xmas. Previously used normal shoes and over boots. Won’t be using over shoes again…. They are well worth it imho.

mjsmke

Went out Saturday in the wet/cold and put on this socks with sandwich bags over them. Stayed dry and warm(ish). Didn’t even notice wearing the bags. Can’t use thick socks as my feet are too wide.

funkynick

The two biggest things I have found in keeping my feet warm are:

Having enough space in my shoes to easily wiggle my toes around. I was finding that even with nice thick socks I was still getting cold feet, as I was cramming them into my normal riding shoes, and so restricting the blood flow. Changing to larger shoes helped, changing to larger winter boots helped a lot!

Keeping my legs warm… you aren’t going to keep your feet warm if you cool the blood down in your legs before it gets to them! So wear insulated longs…

project
    Free Member

As above, pair of thin socks, then a carrier bag over each foot, tape around top of ankle then another pair of thin socks over.

Remember when you take outer pair off plastic bags are extremely slippy on laminate flooring, i found out the hard way.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Make sure the toe area of your socks is not tight in the first place! I found that recently with my usual Bridgedale merino socks….they were a L and for my foot size I normally wear XL…switched to an XL pair in my Lake 303s and back to superwarm feet.

wwaswas

Used my Lake Frankenboots for the first time this winter in Sunday. Even compared to my Defrosters they are streets ahead on warmth.

I’d think about how you pedal too, though, try and keep wriggling your toes as you pedal rather than locking them rigid inside your shoes – it makes a big difference to circulation.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Try the spesh Defrosters, dry warm perfect.mas above you need some rom in them to be warm

P20

Decent winter boots do make a difference. I’m really happy with my Shimanos the wife likes her defrosters. I did have to go up a size though

teef
    Free Member

Go the whole hog:

Winter boots half a size bigger than normal, thick Merino socks & Over shoes.

cossyrush
    Free Member

I used to suffer really badly from cold feet, but bought some Nookie neoprene socks.
    Not particularly nice to wear, but they certainly solved the cold feet problem.
    I rate neoprene gloves also.

scandal42
    Free Member

Are there any winter road shoes that you don’t have to remortgage your house to buy, or are warm feet only within the reach of people able to spunk 100 notes on shoes?

teef
    Free Member

100 notes

Money well spent – if they last you 5 years – £20/year

bikebouy
    Free Member

Simple trick I use when it’s bitter out there..

Normal weight socks (so for me it’s my normal riding socks) not the thicker “winter” socks some use… Then a piece of foil wrapped around the front of my toes ending mid sole (so not all the way back to my ankle) I wrap a double layer around my foot making sure I can still wiggle my toes when standing on the ball of my foot. Then I put my shoes on and open up the Velcro on the toe strap a little more than usual, I tighten the mid Velcro normally, then the ratchet I leave fairly firm but not clamped (until I need it done tight)

Also it’s all about blood flow, more effort. So I tempo up cadence, climb out of the saddle (either at climbing cadence or lower) then pace off when the sections over to allow the blood to flow freely around my body.

I do use overshoes/Belgian booties but tend to wear them when it’s wet.

Assume you are talking about road here btw.

doh
    Free Member

I would avoid the defrosters, rubber on sole is harder than diamond making them dodgy on frozen ground or wet rock and the boot has no actual insulation. Keep my feet dry though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Are you wearing winter boots? The only think that works imo – a huge difference.

The problem with circulation imo isn’t having room to wiggle your toes, it’s how tight the straps are on the middle of your foot. Check out Specialized shoes, they seem to have put a bit more thought into blood flow than most.

Are there any winter road shoes that you don’t have to remortgage your house to buy

Only if you can get them on sale like I did, unfortunately.

IHN

Silk liner socks also help. They’re about a fiver on ebay.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I have winter boots and still get cold feet, so they don’t always work. I think thick socks may be cutting off the circulation a bit despite leaving the straps slack. I might try the foil over the toes mentioned above!

globalti
    Free Member

Slacker shoes will allow your feet to move and help blood to circulate and will prevent the insulation of your socks from being crushed.

bikebouy
    Free Member

That foil tip ^^ is an old Roadie tip I’ve been using for Donkeys years. It’s always worked for me, however even I get cold occasionally so do bear that in mind eh.

I mean, it is winter after all 😐

flashes
    Free Member

I bought 2nd hand (or foot) Shimano Goretex boots. Utterly fab, vary the number / type of scocks depending on temperature, although I’m in the South…

porter_jamie

are there decent winter boots for flats, or are they all spd?

scandal42
    Free Member

Jamie..

I find Teva Links Hi Tops to be awesome in winter with Merino socks, they keep your feet so warm you can’t usually tell that they are wet.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Freezing cold feet are really spoiling the rides. EXO2 insoles?’ is closed to new replies.