• This topic has 24 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Xan.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Freezing camel back
  • Xan
    Free Member

Maybe a daft question but is there anything you can do to stop the bladder freezing? Was thinking wrapping something round it might slow the process down a bit or will I be fighting a losing battle?

vikingboy
    Free Member

wear it closer to your body?
    Is it the bladder or the water in the pipe to your mouth thats freezing?

You could fill it with either salt or alcohol

I dont know which I would use. 😉

alexpalacefan

Maybe start with warm(ish) water and wrap the bladder in bubble wrap, fleece or similar.

If it's the tube there's a neoprene sleave that goes over it that should help.

APF

grahamh
    Free Member

Fill with hot water.
    Keeps your back warm as well. 8)

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

the back dosent freeze its the water in ur pipe that does, i end up biting it like some kinda slush pupppy lol not good, unless your wrap it up with something, not sure, if that dosent work just put heated water inside last longer lol

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Managed to defrost mine recently by putting the bite valve inside my top. Seems to be valve goes first but trying to drink normally seems to catch it early enough.

organic355
    Free Member

HAVE YOU TRIED A CAMELBACK THERMAL CONTROL KIT:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5967

sockpuppet

blow some air back into the tube each time after you've drunk.

the water left in the mouth piece freezes but you can usually melt it with your lips and then suck the air and then water through

allthepies
    Free Member

>HAVE YOU TRIED A CAMELBACK THERMAL CONTROL KIT

How does that stop the bladder freezing ? 😉

nigew
    Free Member

Put the tube INSIDE your jacket, Simples!
    Works every time, will even defrost a frozen one.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

sockpuppet – Member
    blow some air back into the tube each time after you've drunk.

Seconded, it's simple and cheap as well

CTML
    Free Member

£18.99 for some pipe…i think not

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Putting something like electrolite or carbohydrate mix in the water will depress the freezing temperature – same concept as grit on the roads 😀 (you may need quite a strong solution though but you can eat a handful of snow between sips)

Ti29er
    Free Member

Last night's ride: 3x cuppas (sweet black tea) in the bladder and it was great!

moremudplease
    Free Member

use a water bottle filled with boiling water,still drinking on wednesday night long after all the camelbacks were sucking ice

Northwind

Xan wrote,

"Maybe a daft question but is there anything you can do to stop the bladder freezing"

The bladder? Where are you riding, Pluto? The hose will freeze if you let it but you'd need to be very, very cold to freeze the bladder.

fraseruk
    Free Member

I've used a camelbak while snowboarding for years and I've never had the bladder freeze – only the pipe.

I've tried the insulated pipe and it does help but only to some extent as it still freezes up eventually – best solution is what other folk already said, just make sure you blow the water back down the pipe after use. Works a treat.

Another trick I've seen is wearing your jacket over the camelback – obviously only going to work for very slimline packs but might be an option if it is really baltic!

DT78
    Free Member

fraseruk +1

I have never had my camelbaks bladder freeze whilst boarding only the tube, and it's encountered some signifcantly colder weather than the uk. I managed to pick up a cheap 1 litre specific camelbak in the summer closeouts (snowblow I think). I swap the insulated tube onto my 3 litre bladders.

The-Badger
    Free Member

I do this

warm contents (50% boiling water/ 50% tap)
    use electrolyte
    tuck the pipe inside my jacket

works for me

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Hot Ribena.

Mmmmmmm.

bonj
    Free Member

antifreeze.

edit: actually probably best not thinking about it.

Ti29er
    Free Member

+1 for the hot Ribena. Sign me up.

Make sure you clean the bladder out (Milton?) or there's be tummy trouble ahead!

devs
    Free Member

Gonna get shot down here but did you know hot water freezes quicker than cold? Google it. Canny explain it myself.

Xan
    Free Member

Appologies k meant the tube. Thanks for the tips all I'll give some a try before puffer next week.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Freezing camel back’ is closed to new replies.