Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Freewheeel evolution
  • honourablegeorge

Found this interesting. Makes some sense, IMO. Thinking it’s probably more prone to mud and dirt ingress in that position, but not many disadvantages otherwise.

https://nsmb.com/articles/reinventing-and-moving-freewheel/

honourablegeorge

Thinking more about it – the chain would be moving while you freewheel, that could be messy.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It moves when I’m pedalling as well. Might also be a better place to use a sprag clutch for silent running. Perhaps even introduce some float on the mounting splines to help with chain line issues.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Coasting over rocky stuff at speed + muddy chain + in high gear (so low chain tension, non-straight chainline) = risk of chain derailment. Just like with the conventional set-up, except the chain is moving and there would be a real risk of a horrible snarl up. You would need a bomb-proof chain retention system at the front and back.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Not for me thank you. I ride trials and would not want this one a normal bike.
    Only positive is engagement points and light back wheel.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Conventionally, a sticky freewheeling pushes against the chain, against a stationary chain ring and causes droop.

In this scenario, the cassette keeps turning and pulling the chain taught.

honourablegeorge

Onzadog – Member

I think there’s potentially the same issue, when you backpedal the chainring is pulling the chain taut in theory, but it can still derail

greyspoke
    Free Member

>>>OnzadogConventionally, a sticky freewheeling pushes against the chain, against a stationary chain ring and causes droop.

The link from the OP envisages using this with conventional derailleur gears (unless I have completely misread it). So with a sticky freewheel the rear cogs will be pulling the bottom run of chain against a reluctant front freewheel. This will wind up the derailleur chain tensioner but result in a slack top run of chain to flap about. It is the same situation as if you try to back-pedal when your jockey wheels are seized, only the chain is travelling in the other direction.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Onzadog – Member

It moves when I’m pedalling as well. Might also be a better place to use a sprag clutch for silent running. Perhaps even introduce some float on the mounting splines to help with chain line issues

Like the movement on the splines idea. Perfect chainline across the whole cassette.
    Still out though.

eulach

I was looking at this last week as I’m after a new crankset but I’d just bought a new rear wheel. In stock at crc.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Freewheeel evolution’ is closed to new replies.