Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • freeview set top box misbehaving.
  • Pook

I’m in Sheffield and just recently we’ve had a couple of retunes. As a result I’m onlyy getting BBC look really north as opposed to look north as my BBC local news. It’s nice knowing what’s going on in harrogate and northumberland, but I can’t find out about the trains from Sheffield AND I don’t get treated to keeley donovan anymore.

A rescind hasn’t fixed it. Any suggestions?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

If a retune hasn’t worked, AFAIK you’re only other option is to change the direction of the aerial to point towards a different transmitter.

uplink
    Free Member

Is your aerial horizontally or vertically mounted?

If it’s vertical, you should be getting your signal from the Sheffield transmitter, if it’s horizontal it’ll be coming from Emley moor [NNW of Sheffield]

allthepies
    Free Member

Have you gone for the “factory defaults” reset type option rather than just a retune ? I’d try that next. On Humax boxes it’s also possible to get the box to use certain transmitters I believe, you might be picking up a different one now.

coffeeking
    Free Member

You will usually find that the other BBC’s are on higher numbers (30X etc) and you can use your channel editing facilities to swap them?

uplink
    Free Member

Also be aware that there’ll be another retune on the Sheffield TX on the 27th

The BBC A mux is the one that carries BBC1 and this is on UHF ch 27 [519.25MHz] on the Sheffield TX if you can force it.

I suspect you’re getting ch 47 instead but if you have a horizontal aerial – you’ll struggle to get the other one

Pook

It’s why i could before than confuses me.

GrahamS

Just had to reset my Humax box the other night.
    I assume they have been messing about with my local (Pontop Pike) transmitter.

When I turned on my box the picture froze after a couple of seconds and the sound a couple of seconds after that.

Fixed it by resetting as follows:

– turn off Humax box
    – remove the aerial
    – turn on box
    – select the “reset to default settings” from the system menu
    – allow it to scan and find nothing
    – plug aerial back in and rescan.
    – all sorted.

slowjo
    Free Member

I wish it was that easy Graham. Our local transmitter is pants, we even get pixellation on the main TV now. The Humax is unwatchable. I thought there was a fault with the box and contacted the reseller. They swapped it out immediately with a brand new one but it is still no good. Apparently, our transmitter is working at about 30% normal strength and it isn’t going to get any better for many months.The engineers said there was nothing they could do except recommend we sit back and wait until the signal strength improves. Other transmitters are pants atm too. 🙁

GrahamS

That sucks.

The Hummys have an option in the menu to show you the signal strength – I guess you’ll just have to keep an eye on that and wait for it to become usable.

On the bright side, most of the Analogue TV signals get switched off next year so hopefully the digital signals will get a boost then.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

You could get a new higher-gain antenna?
    Ours is pants, old & a bit knackered, but it’s a shared one & nobody else is bothered enough to contribute to installing a new one. 🙁

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘freeview set top box misbehaving.’ is closed to new replies.