Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Freeride bike which is good for downhill which is good for xc.
  • astura
    Free Member

Is there a bike out ther which covers these styles of riding?

xiphon
    Free Member

Yes, it’s called “any mountain bike you choose”.

😉

ashfanman
    Free Member

Always going to be a compromise, assuming by freeride you mean big jumps/drops and by XC you mean long days in the saddle?

jimjam
    Free Member

Many good trollsing.

fieldy
    Free Member

Spesh Enduro….and it just happens I have a 2008 frame for sale! can even add forks and wheels.

Alternatively, the Lapierre rigs seem to be popular at the moment.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nomad Carbon? 160mm with option for 170mm fork, get the lockouts right and your away. The Commencal AM that Remy Absalom raced in the mega looked spot on though he had a lot of talent.

Simple answer is probably a 150/160mm Steel HT

astura
    Free Member

Catered to my riding. Like to do around 3-4 foot drops, decent size gaps, jumps. Like to cover around 20 to 30 miles xc

Popocatapetl

it’s not the bike it’s the rider at the end of the day. I’ve got a friend who raced the Ten at Kirroughtree last year on his Remedy as his race hard tail ( scott scale) was kaputt. He finished 7th overall beating a lot of the Jeyboy Xcore racers (to be fair he is also a very fast Jeycore racer) So if you’ve got the legs you won’t go wrong with a remedy. But for us average joes there’s no real deal I’m afraid. I own a Remedy but it’s not as fast as his, but neither is my Kinesis XC pro 3 or my fuel ex!

jedi

my bottlerocket.

HermanShake
    Free Member

650b FS MoonOnaStick?

I reckon the build will need to be based toward the burly end, but maybe have adjustable travel to get the thing back uphill.

I’ve just got a Marin Quad Trail (older version of the Wolf Ridge) which is meant to be this sort of thing. It definitely needs persuading getting up-hill but loves descending. Thank Fux for pro pedal!

clive
    Free Member

The lapierre froggy I am about to sell 😉

Northwind

I saw someone who raced Muckmedden on a Scott Voltage FR, complete with dh-carcass Minions. I’d have died tbh.

What you describe just sounds like a job for any good quality, hard-use 5 or 6 inch travel trailbike. There’s millions of them, so I recommend <bike I own> and slag off <bike I’ve never ridden>

Junkyard
    Free Member

orange something or other
    anything foreign

I may have done as northwind suggests

deadkenny
    Free Member

General All Mountain bike basically.

Loads, but I’ve got a Nomad so I’ll say Nomad 😉

and to slag off – Orange. Just because it’s the expected thing to do 😛

boltonjon

Lapierre Zesty

Just replaced mine, but it really is an awesome piece of kit. Gallops uphill and was unreal DH

It’ll take all the jumps and drops you can chuck at it

Pretty good value for money as well

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Like to do around 3-4 foot drops, decent size gaps, jumps. Like to cover around 20 to 30 miles xc

150mm HT then

remedy
    Free Member

I ride a trek remedy 8 2011 and it will happily do everything you have described

_tom_
    Free Member

Trailstar, job done.

Saying that I’ve ridden xc on my Bullit w/boxxers and it was still alright. Got it up Snowdon and around a lot of the xc stuff at Whistler. Works better with a travel adjust fork for the climbs though.

DrP

Catered to my riding. Like to do around 3-4 foot drops, decent size gaps, jumps. Like to cover around 20 to 30 miles xc

I agree that pretty much any 150mm tral bike would do all that.
    I recommend <commencal meta> and would like to slag off <erm, a mondraker?>

DrP

lucien

Before you decide- what car do you drive?

Matt24k
    Free Member

What the man needs is an Orange 5. It’s best all rounder by far…….
    I’ll just sit back and wait for the inevitable love/hate posts.

astura
    Free Member

I have been offered a Giant trance x2 for trade to my Whyte 905 would that do the job or am better holding out?

I was originally looking for a orange 5 only because I saw a lot of them at trail centres, but now looking through some of these has given me a decent list.

Just gota hope someone buys my whyte or wants to swap

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was originally looking for a orange 5 only because I saw a lot of them at trail centres,

This must be a Troll!!

Get a nice steel HT with some big forks

astura
    Free Member

A troll?!?! Nice 😀

My mate rides an orange crush which is a pretty decent bike but I just fancy a change from a hardtail, especially to get over the techy rockie bits a bit faster without my arms collapsing.

I think holding out for a swap may be the wrong idea, for sale may be my way forward – only issue then is to decide what to get?

Theres gotto be a top five in this list for what I need

mikewsmith
    Free Member

From the SC Stable the Blur LT/Heckler/Nomad
    Specialized Enduro
    Commencal Meta
    Trek

Have a trip round some demo’s

Bagstard
    Free Member

specialized pitch or enduro
    orange 5 or alpine 160
    marin attack trail
    lapierre spicy
    santa cruz heckler or nomad
    mondraker dune
    trek remedy or slash
    saracen ariel
    nukeproof mega

The list could go on and on, but any of the above would do, depending on which way you want to bias your riding? Ideally set up with 1×10 and a proper chainguide, wide bars, shortish stem and two sets of wheels (one lightweight and one for DH.)

Accept that you will sometimes want more/less travel and just get on with it.

I have an orange alpine 160 which is used for pretty much everything, but on big DH days or holidays I am having my coil shock tuned and offset bushes added (air shock the rest of the time.)

allmountainventure
    Free Member

All mountain bikes will do what you want but they are not meant/built for full on DH; i.e big drops and jumps.

Worth having 2 wheels sets. Maybe 2 cranks as well so you can swap between a triple and a single + chain device.

The Remedy is a good bike. Do climbs to challenge XC and then blast down a trail worthy of a DH bike. Enjoy both.

nosedive
    Free Member

enduro with 2 sets of wheels here. Pedals really well for longer rides and I just put the heavy wheels with 2.5 sticky tyres on for visits to the downhill tracks

grum
    Free Member

What’s your budget? Second time I’ve posted it this morning but I’d be very tempted by this.

http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/index.php?page=product&info=214

lurchh
    Free Member

Nukeproof Mega

fd3chris
    Free Member

@Jedi, and my Bottlerocket 😉

HermanShake
    Free Member

astura you mention the Trance x2, this is what I’m leaving behind for the Quad Trail 140. When jumping doubles or drop offs (not big DJ sized ones!) I was beginning to bottom out and I don’t ride as gnarr as you have described. They are amazing bikes: light weight, Maestro is excellent etc but the mud clearance is slim (for larger rubber) and they’re not built for thrashing. Reigns are a bit closer to what you’ve described or perhaps the Reign X in terms of Giant.

I did add a smidge more air into the shock but then the active nature of the suspension was diminishing to allow it to take a bigger hit.

As said, you’re groping around in the All Mountain range of bikes. I spotted the Reign X2 2010 for £1199 at Paul’s H E R E . My DH lite wouldn’t warrant it but it sounds (unless you’re exaggerating) like you could do with the beef. Coil suspension and Maestro sounds like a good compromise to me!

Oh yeah, and as mentioned: what’s the budget?

peterfile
    Free Member

What’s your budget? Second time I’ve posted it this morning but I’d be very tempted by this.

http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/index.php?page=product&info=214

Wooooooo. I like!

Not normally a fan of such “team” style graphics, but that is awesome value. Any reviews kicking around (google is disabled on my laptop 😉 )

toys19
    Free Member

Transition covert, especially as there is a carbon one coming..

Heres mine. Yummy.
    RP23 is good 95% of the time, otherwise I have a coil van rc which I use for more gnarly days..
    (I also have a dh bike.)

astura
    Free Member

My budget is really what I make off my WHYTE around 750. I have just been offered a orange 5 2006 for trade with he whyte.

This is spec for orange:

Front Fork: Manitou Nixon 160mm – 20mm bolt through axle
    Rear Shock: Manitou Swinger
    Headset: Hope 1 1/8″
    Stem: FSA 90mm
    Bars: Kona 800mm wide
    Grips: Nukeproof waffle
    Brakes (front & rear): Juicy seven
    Shifters: SRAM X9
    Drivechain: 3 x 9 Shimano
    Crank: Shimano deore XT
    Durallier: SRAM X9
    Pedals: GT alloy flatties
    Seat post: 27.2mm x 350mm On-One
    Saddle: Kona
    Seat clamp: Hope QR (gold)
    Front Wheel: Mavic 721 with Hope Pro 2 Hub & Maxxis 2.35mm super tacky st high roller tyre Rear Wheel: Shimano with Shimano Hub & Maxxis 2.25mm advantage tyre
    Front wheel rotor: 200mm
    Rear wheel rotor: 180mm

My whyte is
    Large frame
    Frame: 905 fitted with clamp
    Headset: FSA Sealed
    Fork: FOX RL 120mm 15mm QR
    Stem: Thomson Elite
    Bars: Truvativ stylo race bars
    Grips: Lock on Whyte bar plugs (lost 1 bar plug)
    Brakes: Avid Elixir R 160mm R/F
    Front Hub: Shimano 15mm QR
    Rear Hub: Shimano XT +QR
    Cranks: Truvativ Stylo
    Cassette: SRAM PG 970
    Rims: Mavic 317 32 Hole
    Seat Post: Alloy Micro Adjust
    Seat: WTB Silverado
    Shifters: SRAM X9 2010
    Front Mech: SRAM X9
    Rear Mech: SRAM X9 2010
    Tyres: Maxxis High Roller 2.1
    Pedals: DMR V12

Do you think this would be a good trade?

mikey74
    Free Member

All mountain bikes will do what you want but they are not meant/built for full on DH; i.e big drops and jumps.

Erm, that is exactly what a true all-mountain bike should be capable of: I used my Banshee Rune for all of the above and it was brilliant, just a shame about the pivot issues (the only reason why I’m not recommending one here).

I guess it depends on how fast you want to get up the hills, but something like an Enduro, a Nomad, Orange Alpine, Covert, Spicy etc would be ideal.

billysewartcrf
    Free Member

I ride a heckler at the moment running 2×10, fox 160mm talas forks, built pretty burly I can ride pretty much anything on it!! But if money was no option I’d have either a carbon nomad or a yeti Sb 66!

Bagstard
    Free Member

Not sure how your whyte compares to the five, but the five would make for a pretty good bike with some changes. Don’t know much about manitou’s, but pretty sure those forks would jack up the fron end quite a bit. Can they be reduced? Stick on a shorter stem, maybe change to 1×9 with chainguide and it would cover most bases.

deanfbm
    Free Member

I also very much disagree. Point of a all mountain bike is that it’s a mountain bike, it’s capable of mountain biking, ie trips to the shop, trail centres, xc rides, DH, freeride, big mountain riding.

The rider will be giving up a lot of the time before the bike.

My big bike is a 160mm “all mountain bike”, i wouldn’t really question using it anywhere. I’m hitting 25ft+ gaps, 10ft+ drops on it, without ever thinking the bike is beyond its comfort zone. The same goes for any DH track i’ve ridden (alps, llangollen and many others).

I think that the problem is how they’re marketed. A serious amount of DHers i know, once the penny dropped how capable a 160mm bike is, have got 160 bikes and the DH bike gathers dust.

chiefgrooveguru

Exactly! The big difference between a DH and AM bike is that the former has slacker geometry which is totally descending focused and a few more inches of travel, which will save those critical seconds in a DH race.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Freeride bike which is good for downhill which is good for xc.’ is closed to new replies.