Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • freehub woes – help me!
  • ppolski
    Free Member

Stumpy with some kind of dt swiss rear axle, but the freehub is completely kaput. Is it worth just swapping the freehub for a new one from crc etc, or am i best off replacing the whole hub and rebuilding?

I’ve searched the forum but can’t find much help about freehub replacements.

Many thanks!

jonk

Which hub is it?

FOG

It will be a lot cheaper replacing the freehub and it’s not usually a big job but you do need to know exactly what hub it is as if DT are like Shimano they have loads of different freehubs which are not necessarily compatible

orangeboy
    Free Member

What’s wrong with it ? A lot of Dt Swiss ones are serviceable
    You can get the spring and two paws for the cheaper one which Spesh use a lot

The dtswiss web site has all the drawings and parts lists so you can see how it all works and which bits you can get

What year and model is your stumpy

ppolski
    Free Member

08 stumpy fsr expert, according to specialized DT Swiss custom for Specialized 370 with DT RWS QR, 32h

Freehub keeps spinning round under pedalling, as if the ratchet is failing I suppose. It looks easy to remove the freehub, but I don;t know if it is compatible with generic shimano freehubs?

mtbfix

If it is the same as my oem DT hubs from a Giant and a Fisher then you can pull the cassette carrier off and clean and regrease the assembly. Mine always start to play up in the cold too.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

If its like the other Dt hubs i have serviced,It needs 2 x Pawls that are £2.50 ea,A spring thats £2.50 and a Needle bearing kit thats £3.99 and maybe a few bearings if they feel rough.

Sounds like its just needs servicing.

ppolski
    Free Member

Cool thanks, I’ll give it a clean and regrease and see what happens….bits all over the garage floor probably

kd48

Is it a 142+ 12mm hub ? I had one self-destruct on my Camber after 4 months. Unfortunately, one month beyond Specializeds 3 month free hub warranty. If it’s one of these, only replaceable by the Specialized part which is a cheapo JoyTech free hub and you need a 14mm Allen key. Get a new rear wheel.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I know a few people that have had hub bodies replaced well beyond 3 months by Spesh
    Especial with the problems they have has this year.

Two of my riding pals have had wheel rebuilds with new hubs in the last 12 months under warranty

ppolski
    Free Member

hmm 3 and a bit years old now and bought second hand. WOrth a phone call to specialized just in case!

orangeboy
    Free Member

Your dt one just needs a service , would not put that down to a warranty issue

BrickMan

Spinning freely? >>> Service the pawls or replace freehub body

Wobbling all over the shop and/or/seized and less than 1 year >>>> warranty.

there is a more recent (non joytec) manufactured freehub as a replacment part for them which has been out a while, seems to be a million times better than the originals

ppolski
    Free Member

Brickman do you know what the replacement freehub model is? Just in case it needs more than refurb

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘freehub woes – help me!’ is closed to new replies.