Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Free standing gas fires that look like wood burners
  • geoffj

Something like this?

Anyone got anything? Issues, recommendations, dos and dont’s?

The new gaf needs a fire/stove.
    I was staunchly against another woodburner after 10+ years of foraging, cutting, splitting and burning my own fuel. BUT after 1 false start to get a gas fire fitted, I ventured into a stove shop today and was reminded of the attractiveness of a real fire.
    So I’m thinking that a gas fire that looks like a wood burner may be the best middle ground.

Whaddya think?

bedmaker

Here ya go!

Rais stuff is lovely.

geoffj

Oooh that Rais stuff is nice!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Stovax stuff is nice as well, they do a contemporary and trad range

NZCol

Nice. Can;t decipher what sort of flue you need but would assume its kind of like a boiler vent ? If so could be the solution I need as we can run a vent out the wall but not a flue all the way up the house.

geoffj

like a boiler vent ?

I *think* that sounds correct for the balanced flue models – which are more efficient than the conventional glue equivalents anyway.

ElShalimo

Has anyone got a balanced flue gas fire?
    I want to replace a flueless gas fire in my lounge (there’s a great big hole for ventilation which makes the room cold and but safe for CO) and they look like a good idea to me

wzzzz
    Free Member

We have this:

https://www.portwaystoves.com/products/portway-1-gas-stove

Best thing we bought. Instant, controllable heat. No buying wood, chopping logs or stink and mess.

Ours has a wood burner spec stainless chimney liner, but you can put it straight out the back.

Its not balanced flue like a boiler.

No need for air brick vent either as the room is big enough for the output. You only need air bricks when you e.g. have a back boiler that has massive output AFAIK.

nickc

I’e a Morso one, it’s OK, but I find I don’t use it TBH.

djglover
    Free Member

I had a balanced flue gas stove in my previous house. I went down that route because the floor was not strong enough to hold a proper stove.

The fumes go out of the back and the flue pipe went into a fake flue/chimney breast. It looked OK when it was off, but didn’t in anyway replicate actually having a woodburner and every time I used it I wished it was a real woodburner 😀

wzzzz
    Free Member

Oh yeah I had great difficulty finding someone to fit it.

The place I bought the stove from wanted over a grand to fit.

Is it a stove? or a gas fire? Did not compute. Do you need a gas fitter with a stove ticket or a stove fitter with a gas ticket?

woody2000

We’ve had a Jotul fitted. I didn’t want it (or a woodburner) but it seems everyone else in the house has ice for blood 🙂

It gives out some heat and looks nice (IMO), but I dread to think how much gas it uses!

Balanced flue.

http://jotul.com/uk/products/gas-stoves/Jotul-gf-373-bf

ElShalimo

@woody2000 – that is very nice but crikey it’s expensive!

woody2000

Yep, funking ridiculous. Still, she paid for it so no skin off my nose (other than the gas bill!) 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Free standing gas fires that look like wood burners’ is closed to new replies.