• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Haze.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What free smartphone
  • toys19
    Free Member

Aggghhhh help.

So I’ve got a nokia 5800 which I like, looking to replace it (on orange right now) but the new nokia N8 (according to Orange) has been withdrawn as it keeps failing. So I need a recommendation for a new smartphone that is free (IE not a **** Iphone, which I would have but its that much dearer than everything else on contract)

stuey
    Free Member

Orange san francisco – is a bargain android phone.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I got an HTC desire with Vondafone free on a £20 a month contract recently. It’s an excellent phone.

I_Ache
    Free Member

+1 Desire

Only had it a couple of weeks but its great.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

20 quid a month? That’s good, what do you it, 24 months I presume?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Just got a motorola defy sim free. Still owed an upgrade though

Onzadog
    Free Member

24 months. 300 minutes 3000 texts 500mb

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Aw naw – dinnae be telling me the N8 is failing.
    I just oredered one up from Vodafone as my upgrade. Delivery due tomorrow.
    This technology nonsense is trying enough without having phone fails to worry about.
    I hope Orange have misinformed.

anokdale
    Free Member

Just got a HTC Wildfire from 3 at 20 quid a month, nice to use and so far so good, 2 yr contract though.

toys19
    Free Member

I hope Orange have misinformed.

It’s as likely as anything else, they say any old crap to make money out of you..

EDIT found some N8 failure info here

mikertroid
    Free Member

+1 for Defy.

Great for hassle free tough smartphone. Lots of features for zero money.

kimbers

Very impressed with my wildfire excellent quality and much cheapet than iPhone or even desire screen res is a bit low but pinch to zoom is nice best of all its small enough that you don’t feel like an 80s stock trader with a brick in your pocket

toys19
    Free Member

Mike T any news on your N-8?

I got a deal on a HTC desire HD (although out of stock so I have to wait). Orange seem to think my loyalty is a good thing.

Cougar

The San Francisco is supposed to be better than the Wildfire, and cheaper. I’ll be playing with one later tonight, so I’ll report back (if I remember).

IA

toys19, be interested to see how you find the battery life (or lack thereof) with the desire HD. I wonder if it’s as bad as I’ve read.

I like my N8 (see previous posts) though had to get it replace by nokia* which was a bit of a hassle. Though to be fair, they will collect and return it to you for free, or let you drop it off at a post office for free, which is nice.

*though not for the apparent common fault. Which is still a fair amount of hearsay with not many numbers… I’ve heard 6% returns, compare that to 5% on the iphone it’s not a huge deal….

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Got HTC Desire free on O2 upgrade £25 a month 900 min, unlimited texts and 500MG of data (which I never even get close to!). Brilliant phone, very easy to use and good as a phone as well as a gadget. Battery life hasn’t been a problem, in that I’ve listened to music/surfed the t’internet all day just have to charge it every night.

mau00149
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at the motorola defy for its waterproof / ruggedness capabilities.

Have heard a few people having problems with water indicators in iphones being triggered by condensation from people going warm indoors from cold outside but have no idea how bad it is? Hence my thoughts towards the defy….although O2 dont seem see any contracts with O2.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I’ve gone from a Nokia 5800 to an HTC Wildfire which really is a nice little phone and miles better than the Nokia. OK screen resolution isn’t the best but I don’t watch videos on it and like Kimbers said it fits in the hand nicely.

toys19
    Free Member

IA – Orange again stated today that they are not selling the N-8 until the problem is fixed so I just cannot get it, would always prefer nokia..

Read lots of reviews about the Desire HD and apparantly batt life is not great, but I’m not a heavy user of all the stuff it has to offer so I think you can just trun that crap off and get longer life.

IA

Orange again stated today that they are not selling the N-8

Interesting. I’d ask them to have a look at their own website…

Haze

I’m about to go from a Nokia 5800 too, fancied a HTC Desire but getting one ‘free’ pushes the contract just out of my price range.

I’ll probably opt for a Wildfire instead, seems to have favourable reviews and I’m sure it’ll meet my needs perfectly.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What free smartphone’ is closed to new replies.