• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by aa.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Free Schools – Anyone know much about them?
  • Duffer
    Free Member

There is a Free School being proposed (by a reputable Academy) in our local area, possibly to be opened in Sep 15. I have two kinder currently in primary school, so i’m following it with interest.

Does anyone know much about them? I understand they operate a bit like a Public School, but are funded by the state. Is that a fair comment?

Anyone have any experience with anything similar?

aa
    Free Member

Kind of…..

Free schools are state funded. Much in the same way as an Academy is.

Out of the control of the LA, own admissions policy, own staff, assets etc etc.

Anything specific you want to know?

bails

Are they the ones that are free to employ completely unqualified people as teachers?

aa
    Free Member

*watches thread with interest*

😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I suspect the OP isn’t going to find out much of what he wants to know. 😀

To the OP, just go to their open day…if they have one.

Duffer
    Free Member

Nothing in particular i want to know, just trying to do some research and inform decisions in the future. Dr Google either sends me to The Guardian or the National Union of Teachers (which reads like a Labour press release).

AA – You mention that free schools are outside of Local Authority control. Please excuse my ignorance; what does the Local Authority control in a “conventional” state school?

ransos
    Free Member

AA – You mention that free schools are outside of Local Authority control. Please excuse my ignorance; what does the Local Authority control in a “conventional” state school?

Although LA maintained schools have their own budgets, the teachers’ contracts are with the council. The council also controls admissions, performance management, music service etc. They will most likely maintain the school building, grounds, catering and contracts for educational supplies.

Free schools have little democratic oversight may very well not be established in areas where there is a shortage of places.

aa
    Free Member

Ransos is almost there.

There are several types of school where the differences to a parent are negligible. The most obvious differences would be the right to set their own admissions policies, admit on grounds of faith etc etc.

I work in an LA where there are no free schools yet (but I do know someone who is in the process of setting one up – due to open in September).

A local authority has a duty to provide school places.

Central Government restricts money to LA’s (although the LA I work for has just received a tidy sum for school placed planning). So building new schools is a no-no for us at least. (In simple terms – reality is never quite so so simple)

If an organisation wants to set up a school in an area where theres a shortage of place then, hey, thats good. Conversely, if a free school wants to set up where there a surplus of places, thats bad.

There’s been plenty of bad press about free schools, I know of the problems the Derby one has – but wont go into it on a public forum.

You have you choices. I know where my children will go!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Free Schools – Anyone know much about them?’ is closed to new replies.