Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Free Parking @ Bolton Abbey (Yorkshire)
  • patriotpro
    Free Member

Do you know of any?

martinhutch

If you’re there early enough, go along the road signposted ‘Storiths’ off the a59 – the minor road that goes on the other side of the Wharfe.

After a ford and a couple of steep bits, it opens out and there’s usually some parking on the RH side. There used to be more, but the estate closed it off because they are money-grubbers.

Alternatively by the side of the road just after the bridge at Barden Tower. Still OK for the riverside walks, but fills up v quick. You can often park on the main Bolton Abbey/Burnsall road near the Barden Tower junction too.

theteaboy
    Free Member

the estate closed it off because they are money-grubbers

Not sure I agree – the upkeep of the estate is bloody expensive and I understand (though can’t be bothered to go to Companies House to check) that they make very little profit from the parking.

The cafe is another thing entirely – money-grubbers…

As for free parking, the Addingham side of the A59 roundabout is usually ok, though a bit of a walk from the Estate.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Further to Martin’s post, there’s a little parking area at Storiths for about 6 or 7 cars (on left just before Storiths). From there, it’s 600m down a road and BW to a foot bridge and the Priory.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Brill, cheers.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Go in the big car park (at teh bottom) tell the gatehouse man that you are eating at the Cavendish rooms (in teh car-park) then it’s free. I sometimes wave and drive through and never been stopped!

Other way is leave car on the old bridge back at the A59 roundabout. it’s only 1Km level road to Bolton Abbey from there

C

martinhutch

Or – drive straight across the wooden bridge from the other side! I’ve never had the nerve, of course.

lemonysam
    Free Member

If there’s nowhere at Barden Bridge, carry on up the hill and turn right (the other end of the Storiths Rd) and there’s a few spaces on the left ~200m up the hill.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Book a nights stay at the Devonshire Arms and you get free parking at Bolton Abbey 🙂

patriotpro
    Free Member

I sometimes wave and drive through and never been stopped!

That sounds like something off ‘the hustle’ 8)

Cheers again all, a few suggestions to go at there.

terrahawk
    Free Member

isn’t parking for the day 7 quid or thereabouts?

martinhutch

Something like that. Haven’t paid for some time. But that does get you a leaflet about the Strid Walk as well.

fasthaggis

Post up how you get on with the stepping stones 😉

terrahawk
    Free Member

right.
    7 quid isn’t a lot is it?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

It’s the cost of half a pint at the Devonshire Arms.

martinhutch

7 quid isn’t a lot is it?

It’s true – and the Duke of Devonshire certainly needs the dosh. I hear he’s still worth well under a billion 🙂

I’d gladly hand over parking money to the Bolton Abbey Estate if it was prepared to open up more than a tiny fraction of its moors to us lot. A couple of weeks ago I came across one of their No Cycling signs planted more than a mile from the end of a public bridleway.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I hear he’s still worth well under a billion

If I’d have known that, i’d have not started this thread and coughed up the fee, bless his cottons (or rather silks) *cough* 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

Pay the parking fee you tight-fisted sod.

portlyone

Last time I went we parked in Leeds and rode there 🙂

SiB
    Free Member

Stay at eh Devonshire Arms and its free, same if you stay at the Devonshire Fell a bit further on. Devonshire Arms very nice but very ‘stuffy’ (ass in posh), Devenshire Fell much more relaxed but still very nice with fantastic views over the village (cant remember name of village though), river and hills

Cheaper just paying the £7 though!

patriotpro
    Free Member

johndoh – Member
    Pay the parking fee you tight-fisted sod.

Says he who spends hours going round all the light fittings in his house instead of getting a sparky n to do it properly. @kettlecallingpot…

Cheers again to everyone else, even your input portlyone – it’s just that trailering 3 children and 3 other adults from Leeds is beyond my cycling abilities. 😳 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

Err patriotpro – not at all correct at all in the slightest.

I simply moved a light fitting that resulted in a fault. The fault turned it to be a wire that had worked loose.

Not at all sure where you see a comparison but good try ehh?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Hmm… I got chased off a trail up to Simon’s Seat a few years ago, bloke in the Landy said I wasn’t allowed up there on a bike. He mentioned something about it being a ‘footpath’.

Bloody jobsworth!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Free Parking @ Bolton Abbey (Yorkshire)’ is closed to new replies.