Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Free Camping/ Bivvi ing :- what are the thoughts/rules/regs on farming land?
  • teddy
    Free Member

thinking of a two man light camping/bivvi trip and just wondering what the general concensus is for setting up camp in fields/by the side of trails etc.
    I can imagine the official response is get the owner’s permission…and wouldnt want to trespass, but is it a big deal?

would welcome any ‘git orf may laand’ stories!

aP
    Free Member

It all depends on who’s land you decide to camp on without asking permission. You could be fine, or you could find yourself woken up at 2am and asked politely to move.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

General guide lines are.

Pitch late/leave early
    Camp above the wall/fence line
    No fires
    50m from paths, tracks or roads
    Leave nothing behind
    Use common sense

I think the last one is possibly the most important 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

last time i camped on a farmers land was down at kirroughtree, the farmer came over to say hello, nice guy!

bajsyckel

What do you mean by farming land? Pretty much all non-urban “landscapes” in the UK are farmed to some extent – with the exception of forestry and some estates managed for shooting (many of these are “farmed” too), and some other exceptions where it is a little more blurred.

If I was bivvying/camping anywhere near a house or habitation and thought there was a possibility it might be a problem, I’d ask. The only problem I’ve had in the past is more along the lies of “oh, come in- d’ you not wanna stop in the byre/on the lawn…”. Though I’d imagine this might not be the case in some areas.

As above, generally speaking, pitch at dusk, out of sight, leave no trace and be moving on by dawn. Don’t camp amongst stock or in crops. No fires where you will damage rocks or soil (so often a no-no). No washing in watercourses. No crapping all over the place- burn toilet paper, dig a small hole to bury any waste. Carry away everything you carry in. No camping or bivvying alongside routes/tracks/paths is often a maxim for some, but IME this varies on where you are.

epicyclo

Scotland is ok for this. Just common sense needed.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I pulled into a field one night in my old people carrier and got my head down for some sleep, next thing I know it’s morning and a landie pulls up behind me, I try and pretend I haven’t slept there all night and the farmer just nods and I get a ‘morn in’ from him as he walks past.

thomthumb
    Free Member

if you do it right they won’t know your there / been there.

I am in favour of arriving just before dark – minimises use of torches etc. when setting up.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Free Camping/ Bivvi ing :- what are the thoughts/rules/regs on farming land?’ is closed to new replies.