Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Free antivirus software?
  • slowrider
    Free Member

Hi, my mcafee subscription has run out so. Ithoigjt I’d see if there’s anything that will do the job for free before I buy owt? The simpler the better, imno computer expert

Thanks!

surfer
    Free Member

avg

bigbloke
    Free Member

AVG free edition…seems to work well

MtbCol
    Free Member

I use Avast – works okay for me.
    http://www.avast.com

uplink
    Free Member
    donsimon
    Free Member

Avast +1

allthepies
    Free Member

MSE +1

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Kaspesrski, there’s nowt better! … all the free ones are free for a reason. HTH

druidh
    Free Member

MSE

slowrider
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll have a look at them…

donsimon
    Free Member

BSE?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

AVG

Cougar

MSE, everyone else is wrong.

Whatever you go with, uninstall McAfee first. Running two AV solutions together is Bad.

surfer
    Free Member

all the free ones are free for a reason

Or…..

A fool and his money

Cougar

You’re paying for support, primarily.

nuke

MSE +1

oliverd1981
    Free Member

PCtools – the previous version was okay – but the new one has slicker updates, quite impressed.

Generally – whatever CNET and Majorgeeks recommend.

samuri
    Free Member

well I’d say say Microsoft security essentials but what do I know?

Trampus
    Free Member

At all costs avoid any so called security package whose initial is within seven letters from the middle of the alphabet. They are all crap, fact!

Rio

MSE, and if that isn’t good enough for you then stop going to those dodgy sites!

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

just to check – you’re not with barclays are you?
    free kaspersky with their online banking (makes it sound like the online banking costs money but obviously doesn’t)

Trampus
    Free Member

PMSL, dirtbiker100! I once took advantage of a bank’s ‘free’ security software. It wiped my hard drive and mangled my mobo bios beyond repair!

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Trampus – I presume reading your post you don’t know about kasperky software?
    Its not some crappy free software. it’s full kaspersky. you download it as normal from kaspersky website – just like any normal person – then barclays give you the license key for it…
    I understand the kind of software you mean and I wouldn’t go anywhere near it but this is official standard kaspersky. why the hell would you not get it!

donsimon
    Free Member

why the hell would you not get it!

Because you also have to get a Barclays account?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

hey, i’m with you there, not encouraging anyone to do that any time soon…

Cougar

I once took advantage of a bank’s ‘free’ security software. It wiped my hard drive and mangled my mobo bios beyond repair!

Unless you bank at the First National Bank of Nigeria, I’d respectfully suggest that that’s unlikely.

Kaspersky’s good, incidentally; if I were to buy AV rather than use a free version, that would be my choice.

Trampus
    Free Member

Cougar, this was back in the dark days of dial up. The software was supplied by the bank on cd. Evidently a batch of cds were ‘contaminated’ during production. The bank were very good to me about this, so I have not named and shamed, though it would appear some of this parish are still unwilling to use their services!

I agree with your comments about Kaspersky.I have happily used it in the past, though I now think it has become a bit ‘bloaty’ and performance sapping.

Cougar

Ok, that’s more feasible.

What you’ve described sounds like the Chernobyl virus. AV software won’t trash your BIOS / HDD, but the delivery mechanism might well contain something else that does.

Trampus
    Free Member

I never learned the name of the malicious software. When I say ‘trashed’, I meant that the hard drive’s content was erased and the bios was rendered impossible to access or even reflash.

Cougar

It’s almost certainly Chernobyl. This would’ve been mid-90s, yes?

Horrible little bleeder, cropped up in a lot of places it shouldn’t. There were a batch of hard disks (can’t remember the manufacturer now) that went out with it contaminating the boot sector.

I repaired a metric sh!tload of motherboards that’d been nobbled by it at the time, by hot-swapping the BIOS chip into a live motherboard and flashing it that way. Not for the faint-hearted. (-:

Trampus
    Free Member

That’ll be the bunny! It was about 97/98, and I only ‘sussed’ the source after the new build also went the same way! 🙁

Cougar
    Trampus
    Free Member

Cheers, Cougar, maybe I will get a decent night’s sleep now this ghost has been laid to rest! 🙂

To get back on topic though, I am strongly in the Avast camp!

Cougar

Excellent. Next time you need an answer to something twelve years too late, give me a yell. (-:

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Avast +2

tails
    Free Member

Apple +1 😉

unovolo
    Free Member

Avast+3

Tried lots of others ,like this one best.
    Stay away from Norton it seems to take over everything and really slows your computer down.

solamanda
    Free Member

MSE + 1

chewkw
    Free Member

MSE +++

Drac

Avast

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Free antivirus software?’ is closed to new replies.