Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 132 total)
  • Fred Whitton…
  • dirtyrider
    Free Member

nope not in 3rd/4th time of trying,

chambord
    Free Member

might volunteer to help out to guarantee a place for next year

Can’t find anything on the website about that – is that the case for all volunteers?

13thfloormonk

Trying to figure out some training for this, I’m still off the bike with a wrist injury and not anticipating getting back on until start of March.

2-3 spin classes a week until end of March

Between March and May

2 hilly 50 milers
    2 hilly 60/70 milers
    1/2 hilly 100 milers.

Maaaaybe..1 130 miler with the equivalent ascent of the FW.

Not very scientific but got to fit it around work and girlfriend!

My biggest concern is time in the saddle, I didn’t use to be shy of 100-130 mile rides but it’s been a while and I’ve herniated a disc since then. I know I can do 5 hours in the saddle before the back gets seriously sore and stiff, so hopefully just getting lots of saddle time in 2 months prior to the FW will see me right.

It’s good fun planning rides with as much climbing as possible, lets you plot pointless ‘there-and-back’ climbs that you’d normally maybe ignore.

jam-bo

Aim for a sub 5hr time then…

Finding hills isn’t a problem. My short of time road route is up to princetown and back. 13.5 miles. 1700ft of climbing.

13thfloormonk

Aim for a sub 5hr time then…

Ha, obvious solution! Don’t dare look at the average times for FW, 7hr?

dazh

Didn’t expect to but I got a place again this year. Guess I’d better sort out the road bike then…

Don’t dare look at the average times for FW, 7hr?

7 hours is quick for the FW. I did about 7.28 last year and think I was somewhere in the top 10-15% of times.

13thfloormonk

Yikes, some quick lazy excel jiggery pokery suggests an average time of 8:50.

Further excel jiggery pokery suggests 7:28 is definitely in the top 15% 8)

So…. based on my last two times in longish hilly sportives, I think I’ll be happy to get under 7:30, and have sufficient excuses not to be disappointed with anything under 8hr.

The guy I’m riding with would be chasing under 7hr then, maybe I shouldn’t have my girlfriend wait for us at the finish line, don’t want them both standing there waiting more than an hour for me to trundle in haha

matts
    Free Member

Matts no pic as you went over the cattle grid?

Ha! Sadly not. 😉

climbingkev
    Free Member

Cheers Jam bo! I really fancy this, but always assumed it was beyond me as I only got a road bike in Jan 2013. Managed the aforementioned sportives and the Etape du Tour by July then back on the MTB until injury in Feb 2014. Just had an op to sort that so will stick FW on the 2016 to do list! I’ll be riding to finish it, non of that wattage brutality for me!

fatmax

Slight hijack while people read this: does anyone fancy doing http://www.ridetothesun.co.uk – separate thread here: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ride-to-the-sun-a-northern-scottish-dunwich-dynamo

Facebook at – https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ride-to-the-Sun-Scotland/772698899433611?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

100m through the night from Carlisle to Cramond beach (Edinburgh) on the Saturday nearest the summer solstice. 250 signs up so far, free to enter, and grub stop organised at the chippy in Moffat!

Cheers

ElShalimo

Do you guys follow training plans, or just get out and ride to build up the mileage and hills?

dazh

Didn’t have any real training plan last year, just rode as many hills as possible. Make sure you do some steep stuff if you want to ride it all. Hardknott with a 100 miles in the legs is hard. My prep last year was an n+1 approach. Basically ride hills til I was knackered, including at least one of >15% gradient, then do one more.

boxelder

I can heartily recommend any of the Seismic Event series, for training or a consolation for no FW place (you get 2 of these for the cost of a FW – though I know it’s for charity etc)

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

+ 1 on the seismic events. Did two of them last year (as well as the Fred) If anything I’d say one of them (the tour of the high passes) was harder than the Fred.
    As for training last year during the week I was doing a lot of hill repeats around the Bowland fells with a big ride at weekends, (anything from 80-120 miles) taking in as many hills as possible. This year I’m trying a different approach in that I’m doing a dedicated turbo training plan during the week with a ride outside at weekends. When spring comes I’ll tail off the turbo work and do more road miles.

wellhung1
    Free Member

I know it’s very close to the event but you could do this as a taster or a consolation event.

http://www.epicevents.co.uk/cycle-sportives/the-lakeland-loop-cycle-sportive-april-26th-2015.html

jwt
    Free Member

For all those wanting to get a guaranteed entry to the Fred a quote from Paul Loftus …..

All helpers on the ride do receive a reduce price place (£25) on the ride the following year, this place is guaranteed so volunteers do not have to go into the lottery, we find this arrangement works well for both sides.

Hope that has made it clearer?

fubar
    Free Member

and I’m in 😀

(from the reserve list)

I’d better start hitting those hills for training

vondally
    Free Member

😀 I am in off the reserve list 🙁 😛 😀 😯 😀

Spud

Entered in 2013 and couldn’t do it, deferred to last year and my wife was seriously ill. One day I’ll pluck up the courage to do it.

13thfloormonk

So…. how’s everybody feeling about this weekend? 8)

I’m probably feeling better than I should considering my ‘training’ has been a shambles, one or two 100km rides with some short blasts after work thrown in. I guess I’ve got previous form in riding these sorts of things with little or no preparation and still enjoying them.

The weather is looking heinous though, think I’ll be taking the Vaya with mudguards and disc brakes! The fact that it will shortly have a nice shiny Ultegra triple drivetrain fitted is purely coincidence… 🙄

My 2 co-workers have both had last minute panics about their 39/25 drivetrains, one has managed to jam a 28 tooth cassette on the back and the other has invested in an entire new compact drivetrain after trying to push 36/25 up a sustained 20% in the borders, think he got a bit of a fright…

jam-bo

chickening out of camping and just booked a holiday cottage for the week.

11-32 cassette on working great with 9spd XT mech. spin to win…

not enough long rides done but a good amount of steep climbing over the last couple of weeks.

ransos
    Free Member

Amazed at how they cram all that elevation in considering the ‘signature’ climbs aren’t actually that big.

Le Terrier in the Forest of Bowland is even more impressive. 3,800m ascent in 100 miles, despite a high point of less than 450 metres.

dazh

Really not looking forward to it. Have barely ridden the road bike in anger this year, and half a stone heavier than last year. Considering bailing out and doing the Colne Valley MTB challenge instead. It’s a lot of money though not to bother.

13thfloormonk

Dazh, I’m trying to ignore the numerous perfectly good reasons for bailing, although if the other guys in the office blink first and bail out I’d probably be joining them! Unlikely however, one of them has been training for it all winter…

jonba
    Free Member

I rode the route yesterday with a friend. A fairly casual 8.5h as I was knackered from the Selkirk National Mtb champs on Saturday.

I got round with a lowest gear of 34:25. I probably could have dragged myself over the passes on a slightly bigger gear but it would have been hellish and slower overall.

Reading through this makes me smile though. You can take it easy on the hills but if anybody can explain how you take it easy when it hits 25% you’ll have to let me know. I’m a strong climber and I was pretty close to my max heart rate by the time I go to the top of Hardknott as I had to stand up on most of it and work hard just to keep moving.

It is a beautiful ride in the sunshine so I hope you get good weather. Would be difficult on some of the descents in the wet. Even the “not ridiculously steep” ones would be slow as the roads are narrow and not always in great shape in the remote bits.

jwt
    Free Member

Good luck to everyone riding, I rode it last year and I’m marshaling this, just near Skelwith Bridge.
    Try to remember to enjoy it.

D0NK

Would love to do this route, have never bothered trying to enter it as I’m definitely a fair weather roadie. Was thinking about asking to nab a mates place who hasn’t trained much and doesn’t seem very confident, good job I didn’t bother, currently got the lurgy 🙁

You can take it easy on the hills but if anybody can explain how you take it easy when it hits 25% you’ll have to let me know

aye, did the Phil Liggett route last year, didn’t have access to a compact, had a 12-26 cassette, but 39×26 wasn’t low enough to take it easy, full on grind all the way up winnats and could feel the effects for the rest of the day (started in glossop). Think I’d need a compact or MTB cassette for FW.

Hope the weather picks up for you guys.

Tiger6791

Did 175km and 3600m of climbing on the Welsh Ride Thing at the weekend as my final training ride.

Slept in a Bothy got cold, now have a nasty chest infection, X-rays this morning a week of antibiotics and the doctor says I need to rest for a week. 😯

Didn’t dare tell her what I had planned for the weekend….

nammynake
    Free Member

Riding my fourth (in a row) Fred. Forecast is too uncertain at the moment. It could be dry (and windy) or may chuck it down. Training has gone well, been riding most weekends through Winter. Was hoping for sub 7 hours but strong winds will put paid to that. Be happy with under 7:30. My best is 7:40.

Will take my winter bike with guards if it’s going to be very wet, otherwise summer bike with ass saver.

Staying in Langdale YH the night before.

joat

Identify yourself nammynake, I think I’m sitting on your wheel.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Considering bailing out and doing the Colne Valley MTB challenge instead

Why? Loads wanted in including myself and didn’t get a place

I’d hope they put a little star next to bailers names and refuse them entry in future years

dazh

Why? Loads wanted in including myself and didn’t get a place

Not my fault they don’t have a system for transferring entries. If I could transfer it and get my money back I would. Have a go at the organisers not me, when I entered I had every intention of doing it, but a couple of months of niggling injuries and illnesses have impacted my fitness and hence my motivation for doing it.

I’d hope they put a little star next to bailers names and refuse them entry in future years

Maybe they should have and extended application form where entrants must describe in 500 words why they want to do it, just so they get the right calibre of entrant and they can be sure they’ll do it? If you’re that bothered just ride it anyway. The roads are open and there’s nowt stopping you from riding them.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

id just copy and paste your whiney post and say I’m the opposite of this 😉

vondally
    Free Member

After a DNF on my first attempt last year at 103 miles due to my knee blowing up, training has been hit and miss and had two heavy falls in the last month that has killed my training plan though managed 5,113 ft in 33 miles on Sunday in horrendous weather, just put on Sammy slicks yesterday for Sunday 😯 so not looking optimistic. Please do say hi to the slow person with wide handlebars on a Ritchey p 29er.

cynic-al
    Free Member

dazh if you can do the CVMBC you can do the Whi(ne)ton.

If I could get down there for the day and get an entry I’d do it!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Not my fault they don’t have a system for transferring entries.

They do, but you won’t get your money back, but you’ll get a reserved place for next year iirc. You just need to email them and get the new rider to pay the entry fee.

vondally
    Free Member

All the money goes to a great causes,

Our main Charity is Macmillan Cancer Support – we also support The Air Ambulance, Mountain Rescue and youth cycling in all its forms.

and monies go there regardless of people who turn up or not . Lets not forget this major element/driver of the of the event.

dazh

CVMBC is only 10 miles away, starts at a much more sociable time, is only 50km, won’t require a 4am start, and will be much more fun as it’s offroad. And on a point of interest, anyone know why they’re so strict about not being able to give your entry to someone else? I can’t think of a single decent reason why they don’t allow it.

monies go there regardless of people who turn up or not . Lets not forget this major element/driver of the of the event.

Absolutely no problem with that. But don’t see why you wouldn’t get a refund if it was transferred to someone else.

postierich
    Free Member

vondally your mad!

vondally
    Free Member

from Fred Whitton site

If I have to cancel will I get my entry fee back?

No, it will all be donated to the event charities, and if another rider takes your place then they pay their own entry fee. But if you let us know in time for us (or you) to find a replacement rider, and we’ve time to do the replacement, then we will save you a guaranteed deferred place on the following year’s ride – you will not then have to join the lottery, but will have to pay the entry fee again the next year. Note that we might not have time to do a replacement unless you cancel at least 3 weeks before the event. See our event terms & conditions for more information.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Fred Whitton…’ is closed to new replies.