• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by marco.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Frame wrapping
  • marco
    Free Member

Hi guys
    General concensus, whats the best way to wrap a new frame?
    Heli tape? Or invisiframe?
    First option is much, much cheaper.
    Cheers

BoardinBob

I went for the invisiframe kit recently. Seriously impressed

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

£72 though is incredibly expensive. I know not compared to frame but still.

ade9933
    Free Member

Used invisiframe twice. Not cheap but good…. don’t think you get both 🙂

Invisiframe riding the wave of being uncontested at the moment… won’t last forever but for now…

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

whst is a realistic cost for a kit like this?

marco
    Free Member

yeah I looked at invisiframe but not gonna pay £70 + when I can spend £10 – £15 and a little of my time to cut and fit.
    Which is the best tape to use?
    3M or proper heli tape?
    I know the cost of frames is expensive but £72??
    Cheers guys

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Invisiframe and some helitape for heavy rub areas

BoardinBob

I know the cost of frames is expensive but £72??

It’s worth it. Every piece is custom made for your frame and just fits perfectly. If youre only interest in covering “big” bits – downtube etc, then just go for helitape. If you want every bit of the frame covered perfectly, buy the invisiframe

wwaswas

Invisiframe here, glad I spent the money. Very neat, even fitting it myself.

dirtydog
    Free Member

£72.00 or, if you have the skills, £20 on helitape, 2-3 days with a craft knife making paper templates, cutting tape and then applying to frame.

Your time, your money, your choice.

iain1775
    Free Member

After making a pigs ear of heli taping my full suss a few years ago and now seeing all the tape going yellow (it was 3m stuff) I’m getting someone else to Invisiframe my new hardtail for £75 fitted
    I could do it myself, or on the cheap but I’m viewing this bike as one I’m going to abuse for a good few years so don’t mind spending a bit more to have it done properly

nickclift
    Free Member

Thumbs up for Invisiframe. Picked up the new Spitfire on Friday, ordered Invisiframe kit same day, it arrived on Saturday. Did the job myself and very satisfying it was too. Don’t get me wrong it’s not a 5 minute task, but with patience and a lot of water and squeegeeing its come out mint. Trick is to get the frame and both sides of the sheet very wet and slide into position, then start squeezing out the water and bubbles. Wasn’t cheap at £72, but every panel is custom cut and fits perfect. A worth while investment in my book.

fibre
    Free Member

Would you rather save time or money Marco?

I hate doing it but I’ve finally got it nailed. I use Biketart stuff, works well for me and reasonably priced (done 4 bikes with it now). It’s all down to prep and experience. Carbon frames which vary in size and shape along the length of the tube are the toughest (my 456 Carbon was a git).

-Clean surfaces well
    -Measure and cut to size (very sharp blade, scissors for round bits)
    -Peel backing and dunk in warm water (tiny bit of fairy liquid)
    -Move around until its all lined up (I draw a central straight line on tape to help)
    -Squeegee out water then carefully go over it with a heat gun (gets it properly stuck on there)

https://www.biketart.com/accessories-c5/bike-protection-c13/biketape-c124/biketape-invisible-bike-frame-protection-p5

mattyfez

Or just use an aluminium frame.. If it gets little dings you don’t need to worry about corrosion or broken fibres.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Invisiframe

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s a MTB consumer classic; spend a couple of grand on a superlight carbon wonder frame, then spend another couple of hundred on frame protection tape and downtube shields. Only adding to the cost and negating any weight savings from a carbon frame…..

iainc

Wrap in cotton wool and put in a glass case ? 😀

qwerty
    Free Member

Chicks dig dings.

fibre
    Free Member

I wish I didn’t care it’s a ball ache to fit the stuff, I need to fight the OCD tendencies next time 😛

Dogsby

Just had my new Spark Invisiframed and it is outstanding. The customer service was excellent, very quick and the quality of work is truly impressive. I sent my bike to them and when it came back you could hardly tell it had been done. I had to rub the frame to feel the joins and edges!

Ultimately, it’s a new bike that I spent quite a bit of cash on, it has to last a good few years so it is worth looking after.

Highly recommended.

Dogsby

marco
    Free Member

Ok
    Cheers guys
    Lots of good advice, thanks for replying.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Frame wrapping’ is closed to new replies.