Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Frame tolerances
  • sturmey
    Free Member

Could any frame builders out there tell me what is an acceptable tolerance for a steel hardtail frame? I have dropped 3 different wheels into my frame and all show less clearance on the driveside than non driveside. To definately asertain whether the frame is out or the wheels i have taken my rear wheel to have the dishing checked if this is not conclusive then I think I will have the the frame checked. The frame is suffering from paint rubbing off the chainstay from the tyre when muddy on one side only.

sturmey
    Free Member

Now in bike forum

huws
    Free Member

Is it a medium black Cotic soul? Some of them have a small blob of paint in the non driveside dropout that stops the wheel going in fully. Mine had exactly the same issue, ran a file through it and it was all sorted.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Is the wheel actually sitting offset, or are you just seeing different clearances?
    Some frames do have the drive side chainstay closer to the wheel to get better chain-set clearance.
    Of course plenty of frames are just built plain wonky too 🙂

sturmey
    Free Member

huws are you psycic? Just got back from LBS and 3 wheels later the verdict is the frame is out. My wheel if dished would have made the problem worse.

huws
    Free Member

was I right, although it's STW so it's quite likely you've got a Cotic soul.

There was supposedly a whole batch of black medium frames (about 2 years ago) that came from the factory that had paint in the dropout, most people don't notice because the hub files it away but for some reason pro 2 hubs don't. It doesn't sit fully in the dropout so check the marks on the paint work to see if it's seating in the dropout properly.

brant
    Free Member

Hope hubs have the largest diameter axles I've ever seen. Not massive. Just on the high side of the tolerance.

They can stick in some frames too.

File fixes – frame or hubs, you choose.

trail_rat
    Free Member

hope must have the widest tollerances too …

ive seen them flap around like a sausage in an alley in certain frames (where a shimano hub is a nice fit) – then the next hope hub can be tight ….

sturmey
    Free Member

Mavic hubs.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Turn the wheel round in the frame rather than checking dishing (same thing really)

sturmey
    Free Member

OK after some very keen measuring the conclusion is. Wheel in the correct way round the rim is offset by 2.3mm. Turn the wheel round it measures equal on either side. This would indicate the dishing is out I think. All measurements taken from the same point on either side of the rim and frame. But why when I put other wheels in the frame they all look set to one side? Not sure what to do now.

tron
    Free Member

Tis a steel frame. It's stupidly easy to re-arrange the rear end. Sheldon Brown will tell you how.

On the other hand, a framebuilder will have the jigs to know whether he's done enough spragging with 2×4, whereas you'll have to do it by eye 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tron this is one aspect of a frame that can't be re set.

I would not worry about 1.15mm out but I would look at the other wheels.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Frame tolerances’ is closed to new replies.