Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Frame Suggestions
  • andybanks
    Free Member

When I got into MTB a couple of years back I made the mistake of buying a frame that was way too big because it was a great deal – £1,200 down to nearly £600. It’s done it’s job of getting me into cycling but now I’m looking to get a more appropriate size frame and swap my components over.

I ride mainly XC and am looking for a hardtail frame for less than £450.

My current fork has 120mm of travel and I don’t want to spend any money changing that – yet.

So, for riding bridleway, moorland trails, singletrack – what do you recommend? I’ve seen great reviews about Ragley (but only the Marley is available now?) and also the On One 456 (I’ve seen a sub £300 carbon frame going second hand in immaculate condition).

Any ideas?

takisawa2

Soul.

andybanks
    Free Member

Why the Soul over the BFe?

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Were you born special for wanting a Cotic or for not looking at the subtle dofference between model intended use…

If your into XC riding then get a Bfe if you want to be a fluffy cloud with legs baa baa bum me baaaa!

That’s what the typical majority of Stw special clan like see.

andybanks
    Free Member

^ anyone got a translater?

kelvin

Soul is a fair chunk lighter than the BFe Andy.

Superficial
    Free Member

No idea how to translate that.

The BFe is considered the more ‘hardcore’ of the two bikes. It’s a bit heavier, and the chainstays are fatter than the soul so it’s stiffer / less forgiving on long rides.

The Soul is still supposedly a playful bike, it’s designed for long ish forks (your 120mm forks will be fine) and it’s more fun than an XC race bike.

For most people, for most riding, the Soul is what you want. If you want to completely rag it around / jump / ride DH, then go for the BFe.

mboy
    Free Member

How tall are you?

I’ve got a Genesis Altitude Titanium frame (very similar geometry and design to the soul) I’m selling right now. It’s been a superb bike for me, I absolutely love it, just fancy a change to a 29er now.

Mines a 17.5″, fits up to about 5’11” roughly, and its in great condition. More’s the point, it was a £1200 frame new and now I’m asking less for it than the price of a new Soul!

andybanks
    Free Member

Thank you for replying in English! Makes it pretty clear which is the right choice for me.

I’m happy to be plugging away XC for 4 hour plus rides so comfort is key. I also want something that will have the ability to be thrown about – when my confidence allows! Looks like Soul is the right choice.

Cheers,
    Andy

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Soul.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Dialled Prince Albert, Sanderson Life or Breath, Stanton Slackline, Pipedream Sirius. All nice bikes.

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah, of the two the Soul sounds like the right choice. There are plenty of other frames around, the Cotics seem to demand a bit of premium on the second hand market (on here, anyway) because no one on here seems to have heard of any other brands. 😛

chakaping
    Free Member

The On One Carbon 456 is a really good bike and would do what you want very well.

Don’t pay £300 for a used one though, they regularly sell them new for £250 if you are patient.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Chain Reaction have a sale on with a very nice Cove handjob on offer. Brilliant frame. Or Chumba HX1 from Progressive Cycles. very versitile.

Northwind

Soul is a fair bit lighter than the BFe, and still strong. But also they ride fairly differently, the BFe is naturally a fair bit stiffer just due to the extra metal. If you’re going Cotic then the Soul was pretty much designed for you, unless you weigh a ton.

I’m a known fanboi, but, I didn’t like my BFe that much- take away the Soul’s liveliness and you end up with something that doesn’t feel as special or as up for it, IMO, we didn’t spark. It was still a great bike but not a brilliant bike.

RustyMac
    mboy
    Free Member

I’m a known fanboi, but, I didn’t like my BFe that much- take away the Soul’s liveliness and you end up with something that doesn’t feel as special or as up for it, IMO, we didn’t spark. It was still a great bike but not a brilliant bike.

Was exactly how I felt about it too before you bought it off me!

The mk2 and mk3 Bfe’s are known to be a little less harsh, though not much.

I’d seriously consider the genesis latitude £335 from here

Indeed, great frames! Or as mentioned in my previous post, buy my Titanium version off me for a fraction of what it cost new!!!

andybanks
    Free Member

How much are you after for the Genesis?

Drop me a line at andy at andrew-banks dot co dot uk if you’d prefer.

Andy

andybanks
    Free Member

Mboy – do you want to let me know a price?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Frame Suggestions’ is closed to new replies.