Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Frame Repair
  • peaky
    Free Member

A friend has an old GT carbon frame that has a crack to the bottom bracket area (alloy part). The crack is quite small (probably wouldn't show on a photo)
    Local Bike shop says it can't be repaired but were not really interested. He is quite attached to the frame, and would like to have it repaired if possible.

Does the fact that it is a mixture of carbon/alloy make a repair impossible ? and can anyone recommend someone to inspect the frame in the Bristol area ?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

What frame is it – an old STS by any chance?

wwaswas

Argos cycles ar ein bristol and do frame repairs.

There was someone on here a while back wwho'd had a carbon frame repaired.

I think the issue would be welding the Alu without heating the carbon and damaging it, though.

tron
    Free Member

I suspect it's a case of remove & replace the alu? Bore it out then resleeve?

peaky
    Free Member

What frame is it – an old STS by any chance?

Yep – it's an STS 2

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I suspect it's a case of remove & replace the alu? Bore it out then resleeve?

Yep – it's an STS 2

In which case, isn't the aluminium 'block' around the BB intrinsic to the structure (i.e. the carbon tube threads through a hole in the BB block)? I think he's been pretty lucky to have it long enough to crack the aluinium – IIRC, it was a frame/manufacturing process of hideous complexity and I thought the breed had become extinct a long time ago as the carbon 'tube' cracked if you looked at it!! 😉

Think you'll be lucky to effect a repair on it

bigyinn
    Free Member

Put on the garage frame of honorable endeavour wall, i have 3 on mine now 😳
    End of t'road IMO. Shame as I have a lovely Zaskar LE that i'd love to reurrect.

peaky
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments – looks like its the end of the line for that frame.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Frame Repair’ is closed to new replies.