Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Frame protection tape of choice?
  • edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Hi,

I need some frame tape. Any recommendations?

Cheers for any help.

joemmo
    Free Member

3M is probably the safest bet but most expensive. I’ve used 3M, generic stuff and some ‘Teck Wrap’ branded vinyl all bought from eBay. All have been fine if applied correctly.

nickc

when you say “frame protection” what d’you mean?

thick tape to prevent damage to chainstays? downtube protection? transparent tape for paintwork and avoid rubbing?

zero-cool
    Free Member

An invisiframe kit. It’s worth the money. You’ll never notice it’s on there and will look a million times better than a DIY attempt.

Tom KP

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Bit of leccy tape where the cables rub. Job done.

duff
    Free Member

I’ve bought so-called 3M tape from eBay and it’s been crap – thick and yellow. This stuff is expensive but it’s thinner and more flexible and looks so much better: https://www.biketart.com/accessories-c5/bike-protection-c13/biketape-c124/biketape-invisible-bike-frame-protection-p5

kraken2345
    Free Member

A nice layer of dirt usually does me

nixie

Used JRA stuff on the last two bikes. Applied using th e wet method. Just need a bit of planning to go around cable guides etc. The most recent one I even cut snipes for better shape around tighter curves. Just requires patience and sharp sizzors/knife. Don’t forget to round the corners.

Invisiframe would be better but over twice the cost.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Anyone tried the 3M thin mastic tape for chaintstays and such?

I’m getting my bike coated soon and thinking of using that on the downtube and chainstays.

dai3015
    Free Member

I use clear gorilla tape. Works brilliantly and cheap to replace when needed

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Cheers for the suggestions.

@nickc…some tape to protect from cable rub and also webbing rubbing when using my top tube bag.

I used some Lizzard skins last time so curious to try something different this time. Not looking for loads of it. Just a few bits.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

@dai3015 – wouldn’t gorilla tape pull the paint off when removed? If it doesn’t, it sounds like a great way of doing it.

dai3015
    Free Member

Hasn’t pulled any paint off yet! Have used it on a few bikes and find it pretty resiliant & hard wearing. Sometimes need a hair dryer just to help on some complex sections, otherwise it’s been great

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Cheers @dai3015. I’m going to try the gorilla tape method then. 😀

superstu
    Free Member

I use fibrax to prevent cable rub, marvellous things.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I use a ‘lite’ version of the invisiframe kit – mainly just the front triangle. I find it’s a bit flimsy on the back of the bike where my heels obviously rub.

For that i just use a vinyl wrap. Use a matt carbon one from Ebay for about £5, it’s a 1m sq sheet, probably enough to do a whole bike. Frame is a black carbon anyway so you can’t even see it.

It’s much harder wearing than anything i’ve used before.

The AMS honeycomb stuff also looks good though 🙂

mark90
    Free Member

Anyone tried the 3M thin mastic tape for chainstays and such?

I use the 3M 2228 mastic for chainstay and inside of seatstay on some of my bikes. Nice and quiet too.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Decent quality helitape stuff applied properly, can be just the same as invisiframe, just isn’t precut and come with an expensive service to apply it. Though if you want to cover the whole bike, invisiframe is much easier. However I find I really only benefit from covering the downtube. Rest of the bike doesn’t need anything. Some bikes have downtube protection anyway.

This stuff is good / does the job for me.

https://www.biketart.com/accessories-c5/bike-protection-c13/biketape-c124/biketape-invisible-bike-frame-protection-p5

psycorp
    Free Member

Gorilla clear repair tape. Started using it instead if eBay copter tape. More flexible and sticks better.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Frame protection tape of choice?’ is closed to new replies.