Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Frame builders: dropouts that will take 142 or 148 adapters.
  • happybiker
    Free Member

Musing over a custom frame and wondering if anyone makes a dropout that let’s you swap the plates between Boost and 142mm axle.

I’ve got some nice non boost wheels but looking at potentially future proofing the frame.

I’ve had a look at Paragon but can’t see anything obvious.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Have a look at the latest Surly karate monkey. If you frame builder has access to a milling machine they shouldn’t be hard to copy.

happybiker
    Free Member

Doesn’t that just use frame flex to go either way? Similar to their old 132.5mm spacing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Doesn’t that just use frame flex to go either way? Similar to their old 132.5mm spacing.

Yup, works through, why complicate it with moving parts. My Alternator dropouts are convertible with new plates, but the plates did seize once which wouldn’t happen with the Gnot-boost. They’ve just added slots on the inside of the dropouts which allow it to run 142/148 hubs rather than QR and it comes with QR adaptors that sit flush inside the dropouts to make them 135mm.

Personally though, I’d just go with 135mm QR, offset by 6mm if it needed to be for + tyres. Never had a rear wheel fall out, and it’s been a while since I had a fame with a flexy rear end. IMO the arguments for bolt through just aren’t there on hardtails (and s/h Hope XC hubs are bargains!)

swanny853

The new salsa alternators do that. Timberjack being one example- timberjack

happybiker
    Free Member

Thanks, will have a look at those options. Not that fussed about 12mm rear end on a hardtail but clearly 148mm will prevail so it would be nice to have the option for the future.

With Salsa’s current pricing in the UK I’d be more inclined to get a Shand/Pact/SingleBe designed as I want it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Frame builders: dropouts that will take 142 or 148 adapters.’ is closed to new replies.