• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by qtip.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Frame BB thread stripped – options?
  • qtip

The drive side BB thread on my Orange 5 has worn, so the BB won’t tighten. It’s not cross-threaded, just worn down – you can feel a lip where the threads stop inside the frame. Can this be fixed?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Saint bb is longer for temp fix. Otherwise Argos etc

sheeps

betd…. Sorted my superlight out a treat

Simon

BETD helicoiled the BB on my Prophet last year for around £60

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Threadles square taper bb and a square taper chainset.

z1ppy

BeT/Goldtec helicoil +3

qtip

Looks like BETD is the best option. Don’t want to replace cranks or be stuck with a square taper BB. Might give a few wraps of PTFE tape around the BB cup a go first – can’t see it lasting long but worth a shot.

teethgrinder

Managed to JB Weld a driveside cup into my old 2001 FSR. Was great until I needed to change the bearings – could never get it to work again after that. Wasn’t worth getting it Helicoiled when I only paid £60 for the frame.

qtip

Just a note to praise the customer service of Orange. After emailing them to ask for advice about the BB issue, I popped down to the factory and they chased the BB threads for me and gave me a Race Face BB with longer cups for free. Possibly not a permanent fix, but it has kept me riding in the short-term.

I’m going to wrap some PTFE tape around the section of the BB cup that will be screwing into the worn area in the hope that this will stop (or at least reduce) any play from wearing away the remaining good threads.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Frame BB thread stripped – options?’ is closed to new replies.