Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Fractured wrist (collis)
  • peeweepierce
    Free Member

Hello everyone.
    Six weeks into fractured wrist caused by thinking a 50 year old body could or should be behaving like a kid on a bike
    Anyone got an opinion on how long before I can get back riding
    Cheers

P-Jay
    Free Member

Soon as the cast is off, stop if it starts hurting too much. Stresses actually promote healing with broken bones I was told.

shermer75
    Free Member

Not fully strong until 12 week. Should be fine on baby smooth terrain after 6 weeks just as long as you definitely don’t come off, or if you do come off make sure you don’t land on your hand!!

shermer75
    Free Member

Which I’m guessing is how you did it in the first place, considering it’s a Colles?

peeweepierce
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses
    Cast off two weeks but still don’t have hand strength to press brake lever hard enough to mtb
    And yes the fracture was caused by trail riding Beyond my abilities
    Gonna stick to cycle lanes for the next month or so.

shermer75
    Free Member

Cast off two weeks but still don’t have hand strength to press brake lever hard enough to mtb

You would be doing yourself a massive favour to get on this pronto. Have you been given exercises to do? You don’t want to end up a bit

Flaperon

Grab a Powerball and use it for 20 minutes a day. I had loads of grief after a broken wrist and thus solved it within six weeks.

cinnamon_girl

Ended up putting Ergon grips on my bikes which made a big difference.

peeweepierce
    Free Member

been excercising every day since cast came off, powerball, massage
    Can use the break lever just not enough for down trail riding more city comuting
    Don’t wanna end up like the orangetrumkin
    What’s Ergon grips?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Depends which bone was fractured?
    Edit.. just seen Colles fracture..
    Power ball (or squeeze on a squash ball), stretches and then see how it feels in a few weeks..

cinnamon_girl

Here you go:

http://www.ergon-bike.com/en/product.html?a=griffe#gptouring-series

Have you experimented with moving the brakes inwards slightly?

shermer75
    Free Member

Depends which bone was fractured?

Colles is a fracture of the distal radius. It is the most common type of wrist fracture, most likely due to the method of injury which is falling on to outstretched hand. Sometimes referred to as a ‘dinner-fork’ fracture due to it’s appearance. In many ways it can be thought of as opposite to the less common Smiths fracture, which is caused by falling on to the hand in a flexed position causing a posterior-anterior displacement of the distal radius

shermer75
    Free Member

Powerball is all good but you should really be cracking on with some squeezing exercises too. Either with a squash ball as suggested above or a tennis ball or one of those grip thingies you can get from a sports shop. Whatever excites you the most as you’ll be doing lots of them and you’re gonna get bored of it real soon! 10-20 reps 3x a day ideally

peeweepierce
    Free Member

Ok thanks to all for your replies
    “Dinner fork” very good description of hand post fracture
    Squeezing rubber ball all day long (perhaps over doing it?)
    Ergon grip looks good thanks for the linky
    Friendly bunch here at single track

shermer75
    Free Member

(perhaps over doing it?)

Unlikely. Sounds like you’re doing all the right things, crack on! 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

If I was being picky I’d say that if you are able squeeze the ball all day then it isn’t hard enough. You would build up more strength and use your time more efficiently by progressing the exercise and either finding a harder ball or squeezing it with one finger at a time- as a guide you should be struggling to complete ten reps. Also, if you are genuinely squeezing it all day every day you risk giving yourself some RSI type injury, 10 reps 3-4 x a day should be enough 🙂

peeweepierce
    Free Member

Overdoing it, me?
    That’s how I got here
    Each day at time

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Fractured wrist (collis)’ is closed to new replies.