Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Foxes.. WFT?
  • Lazgoat
    Free Member

We (and our neighbours) have longish rear gardens and we are occasionally see foxes in the garden or crossing over the fences. Fine, we love nature.

We have a dog, that sleeps in the kitchen at night. Our kitchen backs onto the garden and we have glass doors onto a decked area that then leads to the garden. Most nights the dog will bark for a few seconds at what we think are the foxes she can see in the garden.

Last night we had guests over and my niece slept on the sofa downstairs. The dog barked and wouldn’t stop. So she got up and went to the kitchen door, to see a fox pawing at the glass and pacing up and down. We have motion activated lights covering the decked area. She went back to the living room, grabbed her phone and took a couple of photos, with the flash on, of the fox still pawing at the glass and decking. The dog was still going bananas but this didn’t faze the fox! We also have a cat flap, which we now hope they can’t fit through…. Eventually after banging on the glass door the fox sloped off.

So, are urban foxes this bold? Would this play or aggression?

shifter
    Free Member

I’ve had this at my patio doors. I put it down to stupid neighbours feeding the bloody things so they the associate glass doors with dinner. Disturbed one passing through earlier this year and it dropped a cooked chicken leg…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Deffo aggression. The fox wanted to smash the window, first eat yr niece and then yr dog for dessert.

Hope you have double glazing…

gobuchul
    Free Member

They enjoy winding dogs up. It’s play. Foxes are not aggressive in that way, their jaws aren’t strong enough to really threaten a dog. A lot of small terriers were originally bred to hunt them.

I live in a small village and back on to fields, so definitely not urban foxes, but we had one who used to come in to garden at night and set the dogs off. If I got up I would have to open 2 doors to let the dogs out, he seemed to know exactly when to time his escape. The dogs never got close.

thegreatape
    Free Member

*reports gobuchul to the fuzz for illegal fox hunting

sandwicheater

Foxes, can’t be trusted, FACT. From a documentary;

[video]https://youtu.be/dCuUnTJgD9M[/video]

BillMC

I heard of a fox in London going through a patio door left open on a hot summer’s night and chewing a shoe. It was from Church’s. Good taste.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Let it in and see what it wants?

qwerty
    Free Member

Was it trying to get upstairs?

mudshark
    Free Member

Having recently been to Warwick Castle the answer seems to me to drop something heavy on it from an upstairs window?

anagallis_arvensis

Let the dog out. It will soon bugger off.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

The family two houses down form us have been feeding the foxes for a few years and they said they come right up their kitchen most evenings. When they hear our dog barking (when she’s in the garden), they know the foxes are about to arrive. So, the dog can hear or smell the fox/s in the other gardens.

Time to set up some remote camera’s I think and see what the foxes are up to.

toppers3933
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Let the dog out. It will soon bugger off.

POSTED 31 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

This. Surprised it didn’t happen. That’ll be one bold as brass fox to hang about unless your dog is a chihuahua.

scaredypants

light outside (with the PIR), dark inside?
    fox sees a fox reflected in the “mirror” and invesitgates a bit. fair enough.

Mind sometimes a fox can be used as a scapegoat when some arse’s pitbull bites off a toddlers face – right inside the house !! 😯

jambalaya
    Free Member

Foxes behaviour has definitely changed and they are well aware in the cities and towns it’s easy food and there are no threats / predators. When I was a kid growing up in the country (40 years ago) you’d rarely see them at night and they where very cautious around people, now they are around a lot in the day and not bothered by people or domestic dogs, certainly not our black lab. I’ve seen foxes just off the Kings Road in central London. There has already been incidents of foxes coming into houses to look for food it’s a natural progression from searching bins. If they become more aggressive it’s going to be a big problem as they are so prevalent in urban areas.

anagallis_arvensis

Foxes soon peg it when they spot our Lurcher!

isitafox
    Free Member

Get a gun

robowns
    Free Member

I was out riding a few weeks ago in the local woods and a fox jumped out and started running along after me. Wasn’t until I stopped and turned around that it slinked off.

FOG

I was once talking to a farmer in Cumbria who claimed never to have seen a fox! I on the other hand live close to the centre of a city of half a million people and have them living in my garden. However it is a student area so they probably have a fine diet of pizza and kebabs

bearnecessities

pizza and kebabs

They won’t need their fox forks then.

Edit: Sorry, that’s shit. I’ve got onion-eyes, yup, I’m blaming that.

singletrackmind

I watched a Fox crossing the road opposite my flat last winter. It actually used the green cross code. I mean, who knew that not only did Foxes a.- have TV in the 80’s and b.- Taught their kids how to cross roads.
    Most dogs cant seem to manage it , yet a fox, no bother.

It is becoming an issue locally. too many coffin dodgers feeding them close to house. then neighbours finding foxes on their dinner tables.

IdleJon

I was once talking to a farmer in Cumbria who claimed never to have seen a fox

Ha, most of the farmers I know (knew, rather) will blame foxes for everything. Killing lambs, chickens, cattle, donkeys, stealing tractors, burgling houses… 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’ve got foxes out the back, quite like watching them. One time they were literally ripping the piss out of a wee terrier in the next garden, it was hilarious to watch. Was just play no aggression in them at all. I don’t think foxes get aggressive tbh.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Went out into the garden last year, lunchtime and there was 6 of them, maw, paw and the bairns – lying in the sunshine. Cheeky buggers.

tenfoot

It is becoming an issue locally. too many coffin dodgers feeding them close to house. then neighbours finding foxes on their dinner tables.

I’ve heard they’re a bit chewy.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I don’t think foxes get aggressive tbh.

Not the vegetarian ones anyway.

godzilla
    Free Member

Feed it some .17 hmr, I’m not a hater but they shouldn’t be brave enough to scrat at a patio door.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

When I lived at my old house I’d ride to work at 4 in the morning and they’d regularly run alongside me for a while, god knows why?

oldnpastit

It’s an open secret in the human genome world that research has been going on for years into implanting human DNA into foxes.

Are you near any universities or research labs?

This is not a normal fox. It’s an escapee, with enhanced, bio-engineered cognition. It’s trying to work out how to take everything you own, and kill you.

thegreatape
    Free Member

OP is your surname either Boggis, Bean or Bunce by any chance?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Foxes.. WFT?’ is closed to new replies.