Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Fox Vanillas – Did I do this right please?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So I’ve had these Vanillas since last July time, and I thought I’d better try and avoid fekking the stanchions, so I levered up the dust seal and stuck about 5cc of oil (Proper Float Fluid, no less!) underneath, onto the foam rings, then pushed the dust seals back on.
    The rings were bone dry, but very clean. The forks were old (2007 I think) stock when I bought them

I have no manuals, but from what I gather that’s the right thing to do, yeah?
    They feel a tad better now

Whilst I’m here, how do you change the damping oil please? Owt else I need to do?

Ta lots!
    🙂

jimmerhimself
    Free Member
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You should strip an rebuild the fork ever 15 hrs use according to fox.

The spring side leg (if I am thinking of the right fork) only has 30ml of oil in it – I would eithert take the top nut off that side and empty and refill it or just bung a bit more in.

Store the bike upside down to get some oil to the top bush

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Store the bike upside down to get some oil to the top bush

Never gonna happen. I’d have to bleed my brakes before every ride!
    Plus all our bike are locked & ground anchored together in the garage, so it’s not practical either.
    🙂

juan
    Free Member

You did perfect
    That was actually on the first van manual.
    Try to store your bike upside down or return it 10 minutes before every ride. Change bushings every year.
    Sorted.

DezB
    Free Member

Step 15 on here for the damping oil
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id28.html

nickegg
    Free Member

If you hold brake levers down with bands you shouldn’t have to bleed them, also the forks only need inverting every so often. It doesn’t take long for the oil to run down to the foam rings.

You may find it easier to just take off the caliper and remove the lower leg assembly and add oil that way.

That method makes it alot easier to wipe out seals.

enfht
    Free Member

Lifting the seals risks scratching the stantions.

Mojo now recommend doing this which I’ve found to be quick and easy

Fox service

And def stand your bike upside down for 10 mins before each ride if you can as this guarantees the foam rings are wet.

I recently replaced my seals & rings and was surprised at how tight the new seals were compared to the originals.

A small price to pay for top quality forks imo…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

enfht – Just read through that and as far as I can see it achieves nothing that can’t be done by lifting the dust seals. Faff for nothing, really.
    🙂

Lifting the seals risks scratching the stantions.

If you have the technical skills of an elephant, yes. But I had no problem at all, being somewhat skilled at these matters. I just did it before I nipped out for a ride, from what I remembered seeing on here. Took 5 mins.
    😀

I’ll probably rip them apart in a few months, for a look-see. Can’t be hard, I can get any RS fork in bits in minutes, air cartriges apart, everything…..

And as for –

Change bushings every year

Sod that for a game of soldiers! I paid £147 brand new. I’ll service them myself until they are ruined. They’ll never go back to Fox or TFT either…..
    🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So to summerise, yes I did it right didn’t I?

Thanks for tha advice and the link to the manual, I’ve saved a copy of that.
    🙂

enfht
    Free Member

Top marks for not having the techical skills of an elephant 😆

You didnt add any suspension oil then, just the float fluid………..

GaryLake
    Free Member

You should strip an rebuild the fork ever 15 hrs use according to fox.

I was under the impression that you only needed to do what Pete just did every 15 hours…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

just the float fluid………..

Well, according to the online manual, that’s what you’re supposed to put in there!
    Float fluid IS suspension oil. Heavier weight than damping oil, yes, (RS damping oil at least) and I use it in shocks and for lubrication of forks, as it is intended for I believe.
    🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Gary, from what I can see, it achieves same thing. As I understand it, dropping the legs is purely a different way of doing the same job, for some reason

GaryLake
    Free Member

Gary, from what I can see, it achieves same thing. As I understand it, dropping the legs is purely a different way of doing the same job, for some reason

I think a lot of people were slipping and scratching the stanchions…

juan
    Free Member

being somewhat skilled at these matters

Unless riding a bike skills then 😉
    EDIT ” Contrary to riding ….” that should be better?

GaryLake
    Free Member

I’m going to have a go at this servicing lark myself. My floats went pop at the seals halfway round the HONC so I’ve now replaced them with Vanillas. The floats actually still work fine but I’m guessing there’s zero fluid in them after seeing what was pouring down the legs at 70km round.

My LBS is going to get the floats patched up and I can practice servicing them and run them on the SS before having a go at the vanillas in *checks watch* another 7 hours of riding time. 🙄

el_diablo
    Free Member

Fox Float fluid

Fox suspension fluid

enfht
    Free Member

Float fluid IS suspension oil

nope

Float and Suspension Fluids

And make sure you use the correct weight oil.

🙄

enfht
    Free Member

sorry couldnt resist

juan
    Free Member

enfht that cant be poddy…
    He’ll have cake rather than a puppy in the pannier 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Me, above-

Float fluid IS suspension oil. Heavier weight than damping oil, yes, (RS damping oil at least) and I use it in shocks and for lubrication of forks, as it is intended for I believe.

I stand corrected. Float fluid isn’t technically suspension fluid. It is, however, fliud which is used to lubricate suspension. So I was right in it’s intended usage
    From the Fox manual, as linked to above —

Apply FLOAT Fluid to the foam ring 1/2 of a 5cc pillow pack.

🙂

dasnut
    Free Member

fox forks are bobbins – what was this thread about again?

nickegg
    Free Member

The point, it would seem, was to ask if doing something one way was correct and then question any other methods suggested

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The point, it would seem, was to ask if doing something one way was correct and then question any other methods suggested

I haven’t questioned the methods, merely pointed out that it’s 2 different ways of doing the self same thing. It seems the long winded method is to stop numpties scratching the stanchions.
    I’ll stick with the quickest if it’s all the same with you.
    🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Fox Vanillas – Did I do this right please?’ is closed to new replies.