Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fox Vanilla RLC Servicing
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I bought these forks in 2005 🙁 and was thinking that although they are still really plush that it might be a good idea to service them. What I want to know is whether it is a simple job I can do myself or should I send them off to TFTuned ?

The other think is that I am light weight 11 stone and was wondering whether I should change the stock springs to something more suited to my weight.

Thanks

kamina
    Free Member

If you have the proper tools it's not that hard. I did it to my Van 36 yesterday and by being careful it went very well (be careful for the correct torque values).

keppoch

Definatley a good idea to do it and I found it very easy despite having never serviced forks before. Search on the internet for a good guide, I think I used the one from the Enduro seals website.

Recommend doing it outside if you can as it is kind of hard to contain the oil once it starts coming out! Or over one of those large builders flexi buckets.

keppoch.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flanagaj
    Free Member

anyone able to recommend a site that does all the seals / coils ?

enfht
    Free Member

mojo

foxyrider
    Free Member

yup second TFT or Mojo for seals – Fork servicing is easy just download the servicing manuals from the fox website – read twice , fettle once 😉

midlifecrashes

Definitely look up Enduro fork seals. You don't need any special kit for a Vanilla. Maybe an accurate way of measuring fork oil and some regular sockets etc. Big adjustable spanner will get the tops off, just don't scrape too much paint off as you go.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Enduro instructions – Bit cheaper seals ? 🙂

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id28.html

flanagaj
    Free Member

Thanks for the info.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Jusr read that turtorial…never had to use a ratchet strap to service my forks…whats the point! Point 20) is a sure fire way to damage the seal…fold the lip in not out.
    Also those wipers look quite plasticy and not rubbery…anyone used them for uk conditions with no problems?

foxyrider
    Free Member

I can see where they are comming from but I agree prob not necc?
    "NOTE: While the Vanilla is a very well-crafted suspension fork, the plunger shaft and damper rod tend to "spin" when one attempts to remove the bottom fixing nuts. This can be extremely frustrating, as no Allen recesses or screwdriver slots have been provided to assist in holding the shafts still. The first few steps illustrated below can help to solve this problem by compressing the fork. Once the fork has been torn-down and re-assembled, subsequent tear-downs are usually easier. However, you (or a machine shop) may want to cut SHALLOW* screwdriver slots in the bottom of the plunger shaft and damper rod, allowing you to skip this fork compressing procedure in the future. "

cheers_drive

I services my 2005 Vanilla RLC last year and it was very easy. It took a couple of hours but only because I was triple checking the instructions. I'm sure it would be a sub 30 min job if you new what to do. I got the seals and oil from my LBS.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fox Vanilla RLC Servicing’ is closed to new replies.