Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fox VAN R Lower Leg service
  • sam2391
    Free Member

Ok I have some 2011 Fox Van R forks which I think are the open bath system, if i drop the lower legs to clean the seals, where do I need to put the oil. I dont need to service the damper just replace oil, if anyone has a guide that would be great, the one on the Fox site refers to the FIT cartridge forks. I have fully rebuilt many Rockshox forks but finding it hard to understand the fox system, especailly to open bath forks.

sam2391
    Free Member

Also is there an easy way to tell the difference between 2010 and 2011 models?

sam2391
    Free Member

Ok, the forks are new from factory so I dont really need to replace the oil in the oil bath, so can I just turn the forks upside down and remove the lower legs without having to replace the fluid? I just want to check the foam rings in the seals are properly soaked with float fluid before I ride them.

ansdy

If it’s just wiper seals and foam rings you could do worse than watch this
    http://mojo.co.uk/dustwiper.html

A

jonk

They wont be open bath, they have a cartridge which is sealed using a bladder. Depending on how many miles you have ridden you need to change the oil in the damper and fit a new bladder. The refresh kit from TFTuned has all you need including a new bladder and seals.

sam2391
    Free Member

Kl thanks, thats exactly what I needed to know, Ill cross the full oil bath replacement hurdle when I get to it. I dont think they have the sealed fit cartridge jonk, so doesnt that mean they are open bath?

ansdy

oh yeah and full service guides can be found here
    http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/Forks/1.0_Fork_Disassembly.htm

As for identifying the model year the Fox guides shown here use photos of forks a few years old so I think the method is pretty much the same.

A

sam2391
    Free Member

I have been on the fox service section but they only have a service guide for the old VAN R not the newer open bath ones. I think more similar to the 32 Van R actually, are the foam rings supposed to be soaked in float fluid or 10wt suspension oil?

jonk

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/Forks/36VAN/36VAN_R.htm

Go down to 36 damper service – like i said depends on how long you have had them if the damper needs doing.

I have 2 pairs of 36’s and i only service the damper once per year and that lots of miles but i service the seals and lube oil every few months.

You could just do the seals and the lube oil in each leg yourself as an interim service if you are not confident in doing the 36 damper. Its not a fit damper but similar.

You could send your damper to Loco for a full service for around £40 if you want to.

sam2391
    Free Member

So if I want replace the oil I drop the lowers, drain the oil, clean seals etc, refit lowers and add 155ml of oil to the damper side and 30ml to the spring side, though holes in lower legs?

2011-2012 36 VAN 160
    (O/B R damper)
    FOX Green 10 wt. Damper-side oil bath 155.0
    Spring-side oil bath 30.0

jonk

Sorry Sam didn’t think the newer Van 36 was open bath. You can check if it is if you take the lowers off and drain them and if loads of oil comes out of the damper side (red knob) then they are. All you do is fill it back up with 10wt through the top once you have re-assembled them. You can check the damper is open bath by looking at it too: you can see the oil port on the underside of the damper.

sam2391
    Free Member

EDIT: Through the top like this, is the service pretty much like this? >>

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/Forks/VANILLA/VANILLA_R.htm

Thanks jonk

jonk

If its open bath then it’ll be the same as a 32 vanilla R as posted above. Soak the foam rings in oil not float fluid. put a little more oil in the non damper side i put 70ml in to stop wear on the stantions.

sam2391
    Free Member

Cheers again, makes alot more sense now, just bought a 8oz bottle of float fluid 😡 o well will chuck it on the classifieds or might just keep it, just incase

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fox VAN R Lower Leg service’ is closed to new replies.