Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Fox Van Forks – Extra stiff spring not stiff enough?
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

I’ve got some van 180mm forks fitted with an extra firm spring, i really do not find it stiff enough, issue is bottom out and support, support gets ok if i crank up the damping, but bottom out issues are still there. A bit of preload gets me to 20% sag, im used to running 15%ish on my trail bike.

I weigh around 185lbs kitted up, the extra firm spring is rated for 205-240lbs, so im well below recommended weight.

Is it a fact of life with coil forks, ie that linearity of the coil just means this is what im going to have?

Maybe coil isn’t right for me?

What do people reckon, just get used to them? I just dont find them that confidence inspiring when it comes to hucks.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Sounds strange – you’re not THAT fat! Hasn’t it got air preload? Are you 100% sure the spring is indeed xfirm? I’m 170lb kitted up and never had issues with med springs in 66s, pikes and older vans.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I have a 2006 van with a medium spring although I weigh the same as you. I’m perhaps not going as large though.

However, I’m running an avalanche speed sensitive cartridge which makes it really supple on the small stuff, well supported in the mid range and bottomless on the big stuff. Well worth considering I think.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How are you measuring sag? 15% is low and 20% the low end for aggressive riding (what the 180mm fork is for) could even go more as a DH fork.

My measurements (as told by everyone I’ve ever ridden with) is stood on the bike weight the front.

185lb is 83kg so not that heavy at all. sounds more like damper issues, which one do you have? Is it low or high speed that you have bottom out issues, whats the small bump like?

Probably got some scope with oil weight and damper after that, I’d suggest speaking to one of the tuning experts

thegman67

I upgraded my older 160 vans to brand new 180 vans and had the exact same problem bottoming out on drops and blowing through all the travel. Ended up selling them as i just couldnt trust them

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Fox Van Forks – Extra stiff spring not stiff enough?’ is closed to new replies.