Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)
  • Fox stantions wear.
  • goldenwonder
    Free Member

According to mine, 50in/lb is 5.6NM approx.

Konastoner
    Free Member

I asked Mr TFT a similar questionn when I was looking to sell my Lyriks for some 36’s, he mentioned that they were having aceelerated stantion wear because the bushing tolerances are not as tight as Zocchies & RS.

This would explain the brake caliper side stantion wearing first as the brake forces would cause high loading on that stantion under braking causing more wear. I think it’s a trade off for plushness.

So you could say it’s your fault for using the brakes too much!

mudplugga
    Free Member

Had three sets of lowers in 2 years.These forks are overhyped crap. How much are they retail?I had a set of rebas years ago, never touched em’, outperfomed the foxs’ in every way.Any suggestions as to a replacement,
    I’ve got an Orange 5?

richc
    Free Member

did you buy 3 sets in 2 years? or did you get warranty on them? as if you paid for them they must be the most expensive set of forks out there.

mudplugga
    Free Member

LBS leaned on Mojo to do them under warranty Rich. Chap at mojo rang me and aked what kind of riding I was doing to cause the problems. I live near Cannock Chase so it’s not too demanding ffs.He was very nice mind, but no where near as nice as the guy at Rock Shox that I never had to speak to, If you get what I mean?

MikeWW
    Free Member

Experience very similar to mudplugga
    Chatted with the mojo guy about Marzochis and Rock Shox. Basically he explained that the Fox was a ‘racing’ fork and therefore better. He did concede that you could probably run the others for years without touching them but they were stickier.
    I would never buy Fox’s again but will see how long they last with the prescribed maintenance.

nickegg
    Free Member

I find it amusing that so many consider fairly complex items like forks as “fit and forget”. Perhaps because i only started mountain biking 3 years ago, i can only go on technology since then. No doubt years ago items were “fit and forget” but only because they were simpler.

You can’t expect warranty work if you havn’t actually adhered to the manufacturers instructions. I recently rebuilt my 32 Vanilla R’s with the 15QR lowers only to discover badly worn stantions. The forks were second-hand so i can only assume no servicing was done prior to me getting them. I bought a new upper assembly which even with the new lowers was still cheaper than buying brand new 15QR forks!I then just fitted damper unit and spring into new parts.

I now whip the lowers every 15 hours or so of riding. I have just done it earlier and it takes no longer than half an hour. Thats with a cup of tea going and not rushing. It’s a good chance to give the forks a good going over and inspection. Every time i clean out the seals theres bugger all dirt. Pop a bit of Float Fluid on the foam rings and job done.

The real issue is that few people actually read up on what service intervals are required when buying forks. Its a lack of servicing thats the issue NOT manufacturing faults! If you’re ham-fisted then perhaps you shouldn’t own Fox forks, get something that has bigger service intervals.

I’ll get of my soap box now.

bomberman
    Free Member

Boycott fox forks. after all the new talas QR15 is £750 (and that’s if fox prices don’t go up shimano style). Why 15mm i ask you? i know why. because if they were a 20mm axle they’d be in direct competition with rock shox who seem to be making cheaper and more reliable forks.

BearBack
    Free Member

Whilst dirt ingress is an issue, particularly in the UK, dry seals is a major issue when combined with dirty oil.

Dry seals with dirty foam rings is basically sandpaper.. not going to be kind to your stantions no matter how you look at it.

Your forks WILL benefit from being inverted overnight on a regular basis… this allows the oil bath oil to soak the foam and keep things lubed.

Oil changes and cleanups as per matt_out’s schedule are also important.

We all lube our chains, and being that a fork costs considerably more than a chain.. I’d be making sure I take more care of my forks.

As for warranty, if you didn’t service your car or ran it out of oil, you wouldn’t expect it to be warrantied… however that said, I think Mojo have a responsibility to UK riders to help better develop the Fox product for UK conditions. That or help educate riders and make owners more aware of the things that they can do to keep things working superbly.

I guess this is a start

bomberman
    Free Member

nickegg if i had just paid for new lowers and uppers (and probably a new 15mm hub/wheel build no?) instead of just buying a brand new pair of rock shox i would be defending fox right now too.

enfht
    Free Member

nickegg do you also top up the suspension fluid everytime you do a service, 5ml is recommended in each leg apparantly?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

nickegg – i disagree!

The complexity of the damper or whatever is inside the fork is irrelevant. The bit that are failing are the seal, stanchions and bushings. Marzocchi had these bits sorted with their Z1/Z2 Bomber forks in 1998 – 11 years ago!

goog
    Free Member

*strokes new 36 TALAS*

richc
    Free Member

I wouldn’t stroke them too hard, you will wear through the anodizing 😉

goog
    Free Member

heh heh

nickegg
    Free Member

I defend Fox because i like their products and my dealings with Mojo have been great. I was running a Pro 2 hub so only needed the adapters. I once had a Rock Shox Pike but found that too heavy and too stiff, that was coil also as i prefer the feel of coils. I then bought the second-hand Fox Vanilla 32 but wanted the extra stiffness of bolt through. I find the 15QR a great balance between a relatively light fork which is plenty stiff enough.

I got the new uppers and lowers for around £270, Mojo did a deal as i recall so that is still cheaper then Rock Shox no?

Disagree away! Some like Fox, some like Rock Shox. I have no reason to buy or try any other brand. Sorry if that doesn’t make sense to some.

MattF

The issue seems to be that the damping oil is in a cartridge rather than sloshing about in the legs like old Marzocchis so less oil can be used and the fork is lighter…?

It says on the Fox website that the 2009 vanillas have open bath damping. The 36s have a FIT cartridge whatever that stands for. Does this mean an end to stantion wear on 32 vanillas as there will be lots of nice oil sloshing around in the legs?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

IMO it is a design fault with the way the bushing is constructed, and poor tolerances. In my Vanillas the bushings were mis-aligned from the factory (I could see it with the naked eye) and wear on the stanchion was inevitable. I solved it by, yes, you guessed it, buying Rockshox.

nickegg
    Free Member

In regards to Rock Shox pricing, could it be worth considering that the more profitable areas of the Sram empire help to keep costs down? Not every aspect of a business has to be 100% profitable.

Fox being a much smaller entity hasn’t got the room to absorb costs in such a way surely?

MattF

All forks seem to have taken a price hike. About 3 years ago I considered £400 to be a very expensive fork. I think the other manufacturers have seen that people are willing to pay what Fox have been charging and have upped their prices correspondingly. Pikes have gone up by £30-50 a year for the last 4 years or so by my reckoning. It’s not as though you’re paying for R&D – they are an old design in the grand scheme of things.

mudshark
    Free Member

Mine ’05 Talas forks were leaking so I took them off to send to get serviced. I noticed a bit of wear so instead bought the oil and seals to do myself; all fine now for about £25.

mrfrosty
    Free Member

Not done any maintenance to them since last april ? no wonder there f**ked

oxym0r0n

After a service 6 months ago, I now have Manitou seals on my ’06 F100s. They get thoroughly cleaned after every ride and stanchion’s lubed with chain lube…

Seems to work ~ yes I maintain my bikes well, but there’s no way 15 hours is a sensible interval IMHO. No (visible) wear so far…

SteveL
    Free Member

Not bothered to read the whole thing but was just wondering why no one made the conection between 565Ncm and 5.65Nm? Honestly 🙄 😉

gonefishin
    Free Member

My vanillas after less than 2 years riding. The bombers I had ridden in the same conditions for three years showed no such wear. The fork performance of the Vanillas was always great but I’ll take Bombers and Pikes anyday for longevity

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Rockshox are far from cheap. RRP on lyriks is £869 to £949 depending on model.

bomberman
    Free Member

Mudshark, did you replace them with enduro seals?

MrNutt
    Free Member

this doesn’t look like too much of a faff:

then all you have to do is the other leg.

here’s the ESSENTIAL information to all fox fork owners: clicky

oxym0r0n

What’s a shop towel??

MikeWW
    Free Member

MrNutt
    You’ve not done it have you?
    Do you really think the seal can be lifted quite that easily?
    Do you think that the dirt gets caught by the insulating tape when you rotate the seal?
    How about pushing the seal back into place?

Have tried it both ways and removing the lower legs is far easier(and is what mojo now recommend)

MrNutt
    Free Member

MikeWW – Member
    MrNutt
    You’ve not done it have you?

damn right, I run Marzocchi 66’s 😀

MikeWW
    Free Member

😀
    Wise man
    :mrgreen:

enfht
    Free Member

update, forget the Fox manual and lifting the seals with a screwdriver, the Mojo-recomended process of removing the lowers is quick and easy. I’ve kept my stantions clean after every ride which must explain why after 7 motnhs of very heavy use by vans look fine when I did the service. The foam rings were a bit dirty but that was all. No visible stantion wear at all, and I checked them very closely. Bit of advice though, get a torque wrench or you’ll easily overtighten the base nuts. The worn stantions pic above must have been neglected to get that bad imo

gonefishin
    Free Member

“The worn stantions pic above must have been neglected to get that bad imo “

They got the same amount of TLC that my bombers got. Well actually they got slightly more. The stantions were clean after every ride but all that wear was below the seals.

bigrich

rockshox are cheap, only need touching once a year for a service and work as well. if fox werent trendy, they’d be in trouble!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Thought I’d bump an old thread…

I thought my 18 month old ’08 32 Floats had given up the ghost at the HONC in April. Pissing out oil at an alarming rate and starting to click a bit. They’ve been used a lot, in all conditions, and haven’t been touched in that time, very occasionally I’d drop some wet lube on the stanchions, pump the forks and wipe. But mostly I’d put them away wet and then ride them the next day with crusty mud all over the stanchions.

Replaced them for some vanillas from CRC and left them in the garage assuming them dead.

I took them to one of my LBSs – Psyclewerx (Bristol) btw – as I’d heard they do fork servicing at a good price. I figured Mojo would end up charging me for new stanchions on top of the full service etc and really didn’t want to pay for all that only to chuck them on my SS.

What can I say, the stanchions were “like new” according to the mechanic and they serviced them, replaced the seals and supplied spacers/dropped the travel to 100mm (for the SS) all for the very reasonable sum of £54.

I love my new vanillas but honestly, they weren’t needed afterall and my Singlespeed has got it’s self a rather bling little upgrade!

I’ve heard all the bad stories about the Foxes but perhaps I just got a good pair…

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve just serviced my Float R 2006 and the insides are fine. They were first serviced in 2008 because they were weeping a little oil. I put the enduro seals on at that time and they’re still like new.

DezB
    Free Member

I must’ve got 2 good pairs of Vanillas then. Cleaned after every ride, very occasional maintenance, 1 set of new seals (you might as well replace them if you’re doing that job in MrNutt’s pic sequence).
    No wear at all in 4 years and 3 years..

Talking of that maintenance sequence above – seems a bit pointless to remove the seals like that when removing the lowers is so easy.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

the only surprise to me is that this is news to anyone. it’s been the same since I can remember.

Same thing happened to me, (cue similar pic to gonfishin’s)

I too was gutted when I first discovered the wear on mine about three years ago. I already knew they needed a service and was considering sending them off to Mojo/TF/wherever.

However, the obvious wear persuaded me there would be no loss in trying to service them myself. If i c*cked it up I could just send them off for a proper service or buy some new forks. So I stripped them down and degreased/cleaned and put back together again with fresh fork oil and taught myself much more about bike monkeying.

Since then, the wear hasn’t really got any worse but I now strip them down regularly (did it last night in about 90 mins for my forthcoming 7 stanes trip) and feel much happier doing it myself.

I agree that it’s easier to totally strip down rather than try to lift a seal and then replace with the stanchion still sitting there; no chance!

Oh yeah, I just remembered that I also replaced my original seals/wipers with enduroforkseals and the wipers sit below the top of the fork so you ain’t getting them out like that anyway.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Does anyone know of a cheap place to buy RS Reba seals. I looked on CRC and they are quite expensive for what is a bit of rubber & foam. I would change them more regular if they werent so expensive.

FWIW i pull the legs off my rebas every 20 or so hours. Why? Because it takes about 30mins to do the lot and i wrote off a pair of Recons in 18mths because i waited.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Fox stantions wear.’ is closed to new replies.