Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Fox shock issue?
  • kirky72
    Free Member

Building a (used) transition bandit at the moment and got it to the point I could sit on it last night and check out the shock. I’m not the heaviest but upon weighting the bike, the shock was initially sagging to around 40% and very squichy not needing much to bottom out, its only 130mm travel so ideally I would like to set at 20% and take it from there.

Its a Fox FLOAT RP23 with boost valve, kashima coating and as been used by the previous owner since 2012 with regular servicing. No matter what pressure I tried to pump it to, getting around 225PSI which should be way to much for me at around 12stone it still sagged to the same level on all settings.

I took the shock apart without removing and try and fit a spacer, there was a small one fitted already, I removed and replaced with a larger one. This time the same problem but also whilst adding pressure there was an audible click and at the same point the pressure reading on the shock pump would drop like 6o to 80PSI. Again I cant get it any firmer.

I’ve seen a couple of youtube videos of bikes running the same shock and it does seem to sit into its sag more than I would normally want. The pro pedal doesn’t firm it up significantly at face value just when sitting on the bike but supposed to come into effect when riding and improve the pedal bob.

Cant ride it to test at the moment due to waiting for a few other parts but I would like to get the shock sorted in the mean time or decide if it needs a more expert opinion or even a replacement. I checked out and could get a rockshox monarch with lock out or a monarch plus in the required size however the FOX is supposed to be a superior shock.

HELP!

cliffyc
    Free Member

Let Mojo have a look at it?

igm

Right up until you fitted the spacer it sounded like the RP23 I’ve got. But the spacer sorted mine.

I suspect a service/rebuild is in order.

PS I used to need 250psi at 16st. With the spacer 230psi and a far better response from the shock.

Oh and the propedal doesn’t seem to do anything on mine if it’s running too much sag so that might not be an issue.

Check with a different shock pump – the click and pressure drop could be the pump.

prezet
    Free Member

Hmm, doesn’t sound right. I had the same shock in my Covert. I’m about 12.5st (on a good day) and had to put around 200-230psi in mine to stop it blowing through. I then got a pack of the volume tune spacers, and in the end I ended up using the number 3 spacer, along with around 150psi to get something usable.

The sag was still around 30% though and the CTD didn’t do much – but I think it wasn’t the ideal shock for the frame.

No use to you, but I’ve just bought a Float X, and although not given it a proper testing yet it definitely seems a better shock for a longer travel bike.

I’d give Mojo a call, speak to a technician and see what they say.

LoCo
    Free Member

Have the air seals been changed recently, maybe leaking between positive & neg. air chambers, or leaking.
    Does the propedal switch make any difference between on & off settings?

The air pressure needed for correct sag will vary from bike to bike due to different leverage ratios etc too.

kirky72
    Free Member

Cheers guys, it does sound like its a pretty soft shock. I will also try another pump.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Fox shock issue?’ is closed to new replies.