• This topic has 19 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Euro.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Fox RP23 what pressures you running?PSI
  • badllama
    Free Member

Just intrested in what pressuer PSI your running in this shock? I know it’s down to personal weight, kit weight your carrying etc… just wondering what people in general are running at for 20 – 25 % sag?

cheers for any info

Rorschach
    Free Member

This will be interesting…..

SOAP
    Free Member

doncorleoni
    Free Member

12.4 stone with kit on a spesh camber and run 150 psi which gets me just over 25% more like 30 but more importantly I get full travel on biggest hits.

I would ignore sag to be honest – it’s just a guide. I would set the pressure that makes you get full travel at least once per ride on te biggest hits. You really want to be using the shock through the full stroke as much as possible. If you are a wheels on ground rider then you may want less pressure, if you like getting air and landing on back wheel, more pressure.

Pressure depends on so many things – stiction in seals, shock bushing stiffness, suspension design, frame leverage ratio, even ambient temperature!

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Double posty

cazum
    Free Member

about 210 psi weigh about 230 with kit on but have shim modded the shock and get full travel on big hits now before it was just blowing through the travel unless stupid PSI was added

badllama
    Free Member

Cheers guys I was getting worried I was running at 140 – 145 PSI on my 2012 Camber gone to an Enduro and now dumping in 220 PSI thought I was getting something wrong looking at SOAP and cazum replies looks like it’s normal 🙂

Euro
    Free Member

Apologies for the semi-hijack and my stupid question but if the recommended pressure is, say 200psi, do you put 200 in and then let some air out to get the desired sag? So if you want 25% sag you let out approx 40-50* psi giving you an adjusted figure of around 150-160 in the chamber?

I’ve one of these on my Stumpy evo and as i’ve never had an air shock before, i’m not sure how it’s supposed to feel. I think i’m running around 170psi, but i’m around 15st in kit. So i’ve either done it wrong (likely) or my riding stance is further forward than you guys or the frame is different or the air temp is different or i’ve done it wrong.

The bike rides ok to me, but as you may have guessed, i haven’t a baldy 😀

*just a figure – i know you’re meant to measure 25% of the shaft length.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sag is measured by distance. Get on bike then off carefully and the movement is the sag.
    Full travel every ride is bs. If your rides are smooth the bike will wallow or vice versa. Use sag as a guide and go from there. Take the shock pump out wiyh you.

Euro
    Free Member

Cheers mike. My shocks stroke is 51mm, and the recommended air for my weight is around 200-210. When i set the sag for around 25% (12mm or so of the stroke length) the pressure works out around the 170 mark. Should the lighter guys not be running less than me to get the same sag or is it one of those ‘if it feels ok, then it is ok’ type situations? Like i said, now the rebound is sorted, the bike rides fine in my eyes, but then posts like this turn up and i think i’ve done it wrong.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The pressure will depend on weight and the bike. 2 people on the same bike that are 20kg different will need different pressures to get the same sag – so long as they set it correctly using the careful on/off stand up don’t bounce method. (Any good LBS would show you this when setting a bike up)

However personal preference can change it all, sag is an indicator that is all. Some frame designs use the travel in different ways, ie some make the air shock feel linear other ramp more than you would expect. Some are designed to sit in the travel a bit more.
    As I said above the full travel every ride assumes every ride is the same. Also don’t be afraid to change the pressure for different rides/styles/locations same with forks. Some rides/sections are better with different settings – Low Speed Compression is a life saver in the slow steppy stuff for instance, if you don’t have it more pressure can help but it will limit the range of travel.
    As a general setup guide….

Start with Sag
    Ride Bike round a short loop that represents all of your riding
    Tweak pressure if too firm/soft
    Repeat Loop
    Play with Rebound
    Repeat Loop
    Tweak a bit more
    Repeat Loop
    Tweak a bit more
    Repeat Loop
    Tweak a bit more
    Repeat Loop
    Tweak a bit more
    Repeat Loop

If you went down the CCDB route then carry on next weekend too…

b45her
    Free Member

there are way too many variables with shock pressures to make this thread any use at all.

the_lecht_rocks

Leverage ratio ?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Mike smith – full travel every ride is not bs at all. What’s the point of having a 50mm stroke shock if you are only using 50% of it as pressure is too high??? The wallow feeling is taken up by compression circuit.

You need to run the pressure that is right for the conditions and your riding style…..

I have seen far too many people setting the sag at 20% and not getting the full use out of the shock.

This advice was also given to me by tf tuned who I like to think know what they are talking about!

Too many variables end of.

Wally

Full travel – should the O-ring be forced off the shaft?

cazum
    Free Member

from what i was advised the shock SHOULD bottom out on the very biggest of hit not constantly bottom out on normal rides ect….

Bregante

Rorschach – Member
    This will be interesting…..

🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mike smith – full travel every ride is not bs at all. What’s the point of having a 50mm stroke shock if you are only using 50% of it as pressure is too high??? The wallow feeling is taken up by compression circuit.

You need to run the pressure that is right for the conditions and your riding style…..

I have seen far too many people setting the sag at 20% and not getting the full use out of the shock.

This advice was also given to me by tf tuned who I like to think know what they are talking about!

Too many variables end of.

Hence the try tweak and keep trying, if i’m riding something fast smooth and flowy I would hardly expect to use any of the travel, If I set it so it would bottom out it would be wrong. I don’t expect full travel on every ride but do expect it to happen a lot on some rides.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

No fair enough I do agree mike 🙂 I do adjust my shock pressure quite regularly – it’s all good advice above 🙂

Enjoy your Sunday guys !

Euro
    Free Member

Cheers Mike.

I miss my old simple but effective coil. What i really need is someone the same size and weight as me, with the same riding style but who is interested in spending time fiddling, to set the RP23 up for me. I’m too much of a lazy arse for all that 😀 I’ll maybe stick a bit more air in and see what happens.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Fox RP23 what pressures you running?PSI’ is closed to new replies.