Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fox RP23 Problem :(
  • GSuperstar
    Free Member

Ok on my older bike had a problem with the RP2 where it lost all pressure, so from this i found out a service was just over £70, this to me is quite a lot so i ended up buying a new upgraded shock for it instead or getting it serviced.

Now with my new bike which has only been used for about a week, but none the less is older and therefore is out of warranty, has recently had the same problem, a week back i had left the bike for a couple of days, came to ride and there was no pressure in the shock at all. Managed to pump it up and it was fine. Last rode it friday night, came this morning to ride and again, no air but again, pumped up.

Is this a regular problem? I'm currently still paying of my bike so if i can go without paying £70 i'll be very happy. Will fitting a new shrader valve possibly solve it?

I have noticed that since it first happened, whether my shock is on 170psi or 200psi, i can still get the oring right to the end of the shaft, not sure if this was like this before however?

Thanks for any help.

TomO

LoCo
    Free Member

Pump it up and pop it in a bowl of water to see if the valve is leaking.
    If not maybe new air seal kit? Not sure would loose all air because of this though.
    £70 seems cheap for a full service! though mojo and Tf charged closer to £90.

retro83
    Free Member

is it possible that your pump is somehow buggering the valves up?

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Hmm maybe it was £90 then? Was a while ago i enquired.

Is an air seal kit easy to fit? I dont wish to damage something more by any incompetence i may posses 🙂

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Retro: I had never pumped up this rear shock prior to the first time it died on me, so it's cant be the pump.

LoCo
    Free Member

check the valves not leaking first, air seal kit is easy to fit.

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

Buy a new seal kit and rebuild it yourself, it's a peace of cake and those nice people at Fox have even made a video about it.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Awesome thanks for that, i'll have a look at that later tonight.

Is it literally the 'touching' part of the air can, and the schrader valve i should spray the air leak solvent onto?

Sorry for all the questions, taking bikes apart i can do, shocks are a whole different world to me 🙂

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Ok, watched the video, which was very helpful and looks pretty straight forward 🙂

What would one of these £90 services do differently out of curiosity?

I'm aware 'TF Tuned' adjusts the oil and shims etc, but im talking about the service mojo would do etc?

Thanks

mrfrosty
    Free Member

Any damage on the shaft ? If so no point fitting new seals. Any damage/wear on the shaft can cause air loss

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Nah nothing like that, like i said its actually a pretty unused shock which is why it's confused me slightly.

mrfrosty
    Free Member

Pump it up to 300 psi and dump it in water like loco said. If leaking from the valve you can just buy 1 from mojostore for a few quid.

takisawa2

A proper service would re-charge it with nitrogen, something you cant really do at home. An air can service is a doddle to do.

andrewh
    Free Member

Another vote for the bowl of water.

Set of seals for my Float RL was about a tenner, and surprisingly easy to fit.

davefarmer
    Free Member

sounds like your shock is 'stuck-down'

is it extending to full length?

a full service involves a seal and oil and nitrogen change.

spooky_b329

I have noticed that since it first happened, whether my shock is on 170psi or 200psi, i can still get the oring right to the end of the shaft, not sure if this was like this before however?

I've had two shocks (Fox Float RL and Fox RP23) and despite being a relatively gentle rider (I don't break stuff) I have broken the IPB (I think that's what it was called) spacer thingy in both of them. In fact I've done the same again to the RP23 but haven't got it fixed yet. I've never lost pressure but the symptoms are loss of damping, and you have to run the shock at 200PSI plus to prevent it squatting right through its travel when pedalling. When the IPD breaks, it allows the nitrogen into the damping oil and turns it into foam. TFTuned returned the parts from my RL, the IPB was a white disc and it had cracked in the middle.

If it is that, its not servicable by yourself as you won't be able to recharge the nitrogen.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fox RP23 Problem :(’ is closed to new replies.