Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Fox RP23- easy to self-service?
  • hora
    Free Member

I've heard stories about, well BANG! with the air sleave. I think my shock needs a service- lethargic, sometimes packs down and inconsistent.

Question is- A limited, open and clean. Would this help? Do I need to send it off for a proper inspection or would a self clean/inspect be fine? The shock keeps its psi/no loss at all.

Or…do you think its a warranty repair?

retro83
    Free Member

The only easy service is the air can one, which probably won't fix any of those issues (which sound like the damper possibly needs bleeding/recharging with nitrogen)

foxyrider
    Free Member

Easy Peesy – The bang you refer to are the ones which are/were suffering from suck down.

You should air sleeve fairly regularly to clean out the seals and put a nice bit of lube inside a seal change much less frequent. just pop off the can (uncrew) and pull off – clean the outer and body with IPA – lube with float fluid and reassemble. You will nee to compress the body in the frame to make it easier to re-assemble.

Like this: http://www.mbr.co.uk/advice/workshop/MBR_News_Workshop_article_197846.html

I don't use grease though crikey 😮 – 😉

hora
    Free Member

Thanks guys

failedengineer

What about the high volume air can type? – does that just screw off in the same way?

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

What about the high volume air can type? – does that just screw off in the same way?

Exactly the same…it just has an additional sleeve onto of the normal air can…just leave this bit unless its leaking.

LoCo
    Free Member

The extra volume air sleeve can spin sometimes when you try to unscrew the whole can off.
    Hold the smaller part of the can at the bottom to solve this.
    Just in case anybody was wondering 😀

adamdv8
    Free Member

Really good vid on Youtube to take you through it.

hora
    Free Member

Perfick, at 2.00m I thought he was going to pull a Rabbit out!

whytetrash

Dead easy and well worth swapping seals for a tenner from Mojo while you are at it!

Daffy

Might do this with mine too…Where'd you get the service kit from? Mojo?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Just order from mojo online shop 🙂 I only obther every 6mo – 1yr depending on riding conditions as the seals last for ages 🙂

http://www.mojostore.co.uk/acatalog/Seal_Kits.html

failedengineer

Did I see someone on here say that Fox Float fluid was in fact EP 90 gear oil?

retro83
    Free Member

Its molybydenum (sp!)oil something like 85 wt gear oil

foxyrider
    Free Member

There was something a few months ago on what float fluid is/was and I think your right FE but don't quote me on that 🙂 MY pot has lasted ages however I reckon it'll last me about 5 years 🙂

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Not meaning to hijack the post but…

If my RP23 is gradually leaking air – say about 10psi a week – would changing the seals on the air sleeve fix this or could it be more serious than that?

I got it tuned by TFTuned back in September so should it be leaking at all so soon? It hasn't had that much use, maybe once or twice a month and less over the snowy period. Or could the cold weather have degraded the seals slightly?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yeh be worth a try and change the seals – only £10 and you get a little 5ml float fluid in the kit. If not then maybe spk to TFT – maybe they will do it at a reduced charge?

LoCo
    Free Member

mtbtomo put the shock in a bowl of water with it inflated to 300psi to see if the valve core is leaking, it may just need tightening.
    They can also leak from around the valve stem that screws into the main body of the shock,if the seal has been pinched when installed.

Alternatively it could be the air seals leaking… 😀

knott4me
    Free Member

Believe me float fluid is not even close to ep 90.avoid.

whytetrash

Knott4me…clarify is it ep90 or float fluid you'd advise avoiding?…and why?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Fox RP23- easy to self-service?’ is closed to new replies.