Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • FOX RP23 Bottoming Out on Marin Wolf Ridge
  • astura
    Free Member

Can anyone assist?

I have a Marin Wolf Ridge with a FOX RP23 rear suspension, i weigh 14st and have approx 210psi in the shock. When i use the full travel 6" on the Marin Shock is fine bottoms out, but when i reel the rear shock travel in, the shock bottoms out.

Any advice? Also i am unsure what are my best settings for this.

z1ppy

is you sag set correctly in the first place?
    Ignore guides that suggested PSI settings, reset the o-ring on the shaft (or put a zip-tie on temporarily) and sit on the bike with fully kitted up (backpack with water in bladder if you use one) whilst propping yourself off a wall, bounce about a bit to to get the suspension moving then let it settle push the o-ring up to base of the air can – get off without disturbing it and measure it. This should be around 25-30% of the travel/stroke, add or remove air until you have this set correctly. Then ride it and see ifthe issue continues, if it does I'd suggest you talk to the shop you bought it from and get them to send it off to mojo for a warrenty check-up.

210psi does seem quite high though, as they're rated upto 300psi.

"but when i reel the rear shock travel in" little lost as to what your describing with this statement.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

double check the correct eye to eye length of the shock. If it's less than this (by about half the stroke length) then it may have bust it's inner air seal and be stuck down.

titusrider
    Free Member

is it the older marins where you could move the shock mounting point on the swingarm with a quick release lever.

as far is i know the leverage ratio is very different when you change travel setting so you need to completly reset sag /pressure

astura
    Free Member

Hi, thanks for all the responses, yes it is an older Marin 2004 with the quick release shock. When i move the quick release to its furthest point the shock performs fine, doesnt bottom out. But when i move it so its closer and the shock compresses more it bottoms out off a 1 foot drop.

nickegg
    Free Member

I used to run a 2006 Wolf Ridge with the same travel adjust feature.

I used to set the sag at approx. 20% in the 4 inch setting (this gave it a nice 'platform' for climbing), when placed into the 6 inch setting it was then really plush. It would only bottom out occasionally in the 6 inch setting.

EDIT: I was under the impression that you were supposed to set it up in the shorter travel setting as the adjustment feature was intended as 'on the fly' change to suit ascending and descending. At least thats what i did and it worked well. Short=Steep angles/shorter wheelbase and Long=Slacker angles/longer wheelbase.

ANOTHER EDIT!: How come you have an RP23? My 2006 had a RP3 and my 2007 an RP23. If you bought the shock, it may need re-valving to suit the bike???

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘FOX RP23 Bottoming Out on Marin Wolf Ridge’ is closed to new replies.